Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmc

Tall..tall lilies

lesmc
10 years ago

I am amazed with these lilies...they must be 8 or 9 feet tall. I have no way to support them. They look silly but they sure smell good! Lesley

Comments (9)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

My tallest orienpets are 7 feet tall this year, and this is only their second season for me. I am sure the cooler temperatures and fairly reliable moisture have helped them grow taller this season.

I mail ordered in a bunch of very sturdy 8 foot bamboo stakes. They work very well for support, but I am always afraid of spearing a lily bulb when inserting it into the ground. Luckily, most lilies (orienpets, LOs, Lilium regale, etc.) usually grow fairly straight up from a bulb. The Lilium lankongense hybrids like 'Karen North', 'Eurydice' and 'Ariadne', etc., as well as Lilium speciosum will often wander horizontally for a good distance away from the bulb before appearing above ground, each year in a different direction.

• interspecific
    10 years ago

Reinforcing bar (rebar) of one-half or five-eights inch diameter works great and, believe it or not, it blends in a garden setting really well. What I do is cut it to the legth I want. For the tall lilies I cut a two foot section and put it in place when I plant the bulb. Or if a group of three, I put it right in the middle. Then as the lilies get taller,say six foot or so, I pull the old stake and install a four or five footer in the same hole, never having to worry about damaging the bulb. I got sick of buying bamboo and those green plastic coated stakes all the time--they don't last and besides they're too visable in the garden.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

Great idea about the rebar stakes! I guess I am too lazy and/or too spontaneous of a gardener to plan that out, LOL!

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Mine are tall to from the excess rain.

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

great idea about the rebar. I have some old rusted metal garden art with some of my lilies so that would look awesome. I will have to get my husband on it for next year!

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Using rebar in the garden in a vertical position is something you need to think about. I nearly put my eye out on a rebar stake in my tomatoes when I was picking. I did draw blood. Since then I put an empty plastic soda bottle over the top so I know they are there.

• swontgirl_z5a
    10 years ago

Good advice.
    We put some t-rails in my lily beds today. They are so tall they had outgrown the wooden stakes I had there. The t-rails are at least 6 feet tall so I know I won't be putting an eye out bending over them! And hopefully they hold the lilies up when they bloom.

• jeannette_wi
    10 years ago

Ispahan- do your lankongense hybrids need staking or do they stand up well on their own?

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

Once my lankongense hybrids like 'Karen North' and 'Ariadne' actually settled in and grew into nice three foot+ tall plants with lots of blooms, they definitely did need staking to stop flopping over. First season planted, they barely grew 12" tall so did not need staking then, lol!

In any case, these hybrids are very beautiful with flowers that are unique among lilies.