Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydseeds

Tall & Short ones, Orientals, Asiatics, Colours mixed up - help?!

sydseeds
18 years ago

I thought I had planted this lily garden over the last 3 years in a sequence with asiatics at one end, orientals to the other end, tall in the middle, shorter ones on the borders with the complimentary colours batched close together.

Either the squirrels did an awful lot of transplanting for me; some of last years lilies that were mail order came labelled wrong; or my expanding of this garden on one side has resulted in me mixing orientals with asiatics putting this whole garden looking like a scattered mess.

I'm at the stage this summer where this lily garden looks nothing like the garden I plotted out on paper when I was planting during the past 3 seasons.

The asiatics are almost done flowing, and I've tagged those bundles of colours and heights and types so that I know who's who when everyone drops their petals.

Can I yank those asiatics out of this lily garden once they drop every last petal (we're talking another week at the most and every asiatic will have dropped all petals) and let the orientals fend for themselves while I re-plant these pulled asiatics in a new garden, with actual size, colour and type differences confirmed now, or do I have to wait until the fall die-back when I'll be dazed and confused again as to who's who. I don't want to sacrafice these asiatics but they are so miss-matched strung about in such a willy-nilly fashion amongst this lily garden (that at one point did have some sembalance of order to it - as it is now, the smallest ones are so hidden in the middle of this garden, and amongst the taller ones, you'd barely know they are there.)

Help - I guess I just need a lily expert/seasoned grower to tell me I'm ok to pull and transplant those asiatics right after blooming. Our first frost dates will occur around the first week of October, if that helps. Cheers!

Comments (4)