Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstcuriousallday

Plant Collector Dilemma: Where to put Midnight?

Posey Planter
17 years ago

I am a plant collector. I am willing to admit my condition, but I am NOT willing to change yet. Maybe this is the first step. I donÂt know. I canÂt think changing right now...

I saw and brought home some Midnight strain lilies. They are exquisitely beautiful. Each is unique! Pure joy, right? Nope:/ Now that they are home, IÂm not sure where to put them! They are too dusky-muted for the SUNNY, BRIGHT-COLOR garden. They are too somber for the DELICATE-IMPRESSIONISTIC garden. Because of the large flower size, they are too bold for the QUIET-SHADY W/WHITE ACCENTS garden. Sigh:/

I have lugged the precious pots from place to place, amazed that the superb blooms do not work with most of my garden themes! They do work well facing the street in back (in a supporting role) of some other more pure-tinted pink lilies. Who would have thunk it?

I took a great amount of time in the nursery, selecting the most outstanding blooms, but they are not STARS in the established garden.

I think maybe I should think about that and my plant collecting habit:/

Regards,

PoseyPlanter

Comments (4)

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

Even delicate/impressionistic and shady/white accented gardens can use a splash of purple and the fabulous scent of Midnight strain. I think they'd be fabulous in either, or start a part-shade, lily garden accented with ferns and campanula.

Lainey

• Posey Planter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lainey,

Thank you for your reply:) Yes, I love the scent of trumpet lilies!

For the moment, the potted lilies are, well, still potted:/ ItÂs had to explain, but they donÂt fit visually in some of the spots I thought they would. So far, IÂm thinking of putting them in the DELICATE-IMPRESSIONISTIC (DI) garden. They really are TOO DARK to be STARS in that setting, however, they may show lighter coloring in my garden... the potted lilies were grown in another area and shipped to the local vendor... then they were kept in shade to preserve the blooms and their color... so, in my ACTUAL DI garden (which is relatively sunny), the blooms may be LIGHTER, which would work better for the desired effect... Lots of IFs:/ What can I say?

I LOVE the individual plants... still, I suffer the consequences of my plant-collector tendencies. It would be more productive and peaceable if I could learn to discipline myself to purchase plants for the GRAND SCHEME instead of collecting specimens for their own sake. I think a great garden has BOTH, BUT I definitely give myself headaches by purchasing specimens, then trying to figure out what to do with them later;)

Regards,
    PoseyPlanter

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

you've picked out a plant that doesn't fit into any of your schemes. must be something in your subconscious(sp) telling you its time for a new scheme. find a new garden spot and start a new bed witha new scheme yould be my solution.
    or
    plant the bulbs in a bigger pot and plant the pot in your DI
    garden for a year and see what happens. if you don't like the look, pull the pot and revert to plan #1.
    or
    put it in your shade garden and start a 'black & white' scheme.
    I'd go with option #1-- just to get rid of some more grass.

diggerb

• Posey Planter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI diggerb2!

The planting in the pot idea sounds like a useful trick.

The exquisite blooms have faded. In the meantime, I have decided to plant them in the herb garden with the sage, tulips and foxtail lilies. I think they will be well suited in both color theme and cultural preferances:)

Whew! One dilemma solved. Now what? Time to acquire a new plant? Just kidding;)

Regards,
    PoseyPlanter

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living