Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I cut off stems that have lost their flowers

Posted by grandma_gardener_02 PA5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 22:46

We have an area of beautiful Crimson Pixie. In previous years I have always cut off the stems that have lost their flowers. And it seemed that it didn't take too long and the leaves on the stems started to brown and wither right up the stalk. This year I did not touch them and they are not having this problem. I did dig up the bulbs last fall and discarded all the little ones and then repositioned the large ones that were left so there was good space between them. It was a weird winter, but we have had good rains this spring. So much for the history. My basic question is as I posted. Do you need to so to speak "deadhead" the stems after the flowers fall off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I cut off stems that have lost their flowers

No, deadheading is not necessary. You are, however, letting some energy go to seed production rather than all of it going to replenish the bulb for next season.

There's a natural decline - yellowing leaves and stems turning woody - to lilies once blooming has finished, some years it's faster than other years.

Not sure why you discarded the small(er) off-set bulbs since they produce new lilies; Asiatics look best in clumps, I think anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here