Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostaholic2

Martagon bloom time in MN

The martagons are blooming here in zone 4 MN and what a show they're putting on, maybe to make up for blooming late this year.

Comments (10)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

My new martagons planted last fall are just finishing up now. Even their first year stems were surprisingly lovely. Yours looks gorgeous! Do you know the cultivar name?

Compared to last year, this has been an excellent lily season in general. Cool temperatures and reliable moisture have resulted in huge tall stems and significantly delayed blooms. And when they do bloom, they stay in good condition for twice as long. Such a difference from the extreme heat and drought of last summer!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe that one is Russian Morning. I'm including a link to some other martagon shots. Many of these were taken at a friend's home. He's been growing martagons for 30 years and allowing them to cross and self sow, so he has a wide variety of un-named lilies. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Martagon and friends album

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

Great photos! I love the elegance of the martagons and hope to add more in the future.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops! Not Russian Morning but Manitoba Morning. Sorry about that!

• debbiecz3
    10 years ago

My martagons are just blooming now; late this year. I really like that Manitoba Morning; since I'm from Manitoba should really get that one! Not too often are we advertised!

• newine_gw
    10 years ago

I have Manitoba Morning for the same reason...I'm a former Manitoban.If I ever master the uploading routine I will post pictures of my martagons.Over the years I have aquired 22 different varieties...still have a wish list but ran out of flower bed space.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

22 varieties! Wow! I'm nowhere that number, I came late to the martagon party but I'm slowly but surely acquiring more. Love them , of course I love lilies in general.

• newine_gw
    10 years ago

Hmm hostas....I went through that phase...I have many hostas...actually many,many hostas...ditto with peonies and daylilies..and of course all the attendant companian plants.We are planning on relocating to a smaller place several years in the future and the thought of moving it all makes my head spin...because, believe me...I am taking the garden with me.

• don555
    10 years ago

Bloom seems a bit later here in central Alberta. I have 3 plants of one variety, Mrs. R O Backhouse I think. In the 10 or so years since I planted them the bed has gone from part-shade to dense shade all day long. I have to move them or lose them. How much sun is ideal for martagons? How many hours of sun per day can they tolerate at a maximum?

Last year they barely bloomed but I guess that allowed them to store enough energy to put on a nice show this year. I fear next year they will disappear unless I move them this fall. Here's their location in the overgrown shade:
    {{gwi:1037955}}

So pretty up close though...

• newine_gw
    10 years ago

Well, that looks like filtered shade to me.I have the book from that master of martagons Eugene Fox, he states that a few hours of morning sun or a few minutes or hours of afternoon sun with some filtered light the rest of the day is okay, and further on the topic that filtered light provided by a canopy of tree leaves is adequate. I have Cranberry Dancer, Arabian Nights, Sarcee and Dahlhansoni growing in much the same situation as I see in your photo and they are doing well, ....mind I wouldn't want any more shade.Other martagons growing in an eastern exposure with shade provided by a large tree to the south of them do somewhat better, but not hugely so.I also have a clump of Early Bird martagons growing right out in the middle of a full sun flower bed....it was my first aquisition..what did I know.!!