Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lilies in yakima/selah, wa???

Posted by djonesc zone 6/98901 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 1:16

i hope this is ok; i crossposted this in the regular garden section b/fore i knew there was a lily forum ... forgive my oversight:

i'm new to this part of gardenweb ... usually hanging out in the veggie section, however, i would like to ask some questions about lilies: i just got home from the minneapolis area (another grandbaby) and when i was there i saw TONS AND TONS of lilies; it seems like every home has a patch or section or area of lilies, even surrounding the mailboxes -- my daughter didn't know what kind they are (they are new there, also) but the lilies are tall with orange/yellow flowers and the leaves look like they *fall over* out of the top of the plant, surrounding the long flower stem ... daughter said she thought they were the kind that walmart sells in pots ...

can someone tell me if they grow in the yakima/selah area ... is it too hot here (it was 111 today where we live out of town) ... i have not seen them, but have not *looked for* them before ... will they grow and thrive in yakima/selah?

any help appreciated ... darlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilies in yakima/selah, wa???

There should not be any orange or yellow true lilies blooming right now, they usually bloom in June. Their foliage is short and grassy but goes all the way from the ground to the flowers on straight stems.

You must be thinking of daylilies, their foliage looks like a grassy clump and the flowers stick up tall on long bare stems?

yes, they'll grow in Yakima.

Are these what you mean?

Here is a link that might be useful: ditch lilies

o
They'll both grow in Yakima

This thread shows the difference between true lilies and daylilies nicely

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread in this forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here