Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

dwarf lilies?

mary_lu_gw
17 years ago

Can anyone help me out? I am looking for some dwarf lilies to plant in my garden room. I have lots of roses and daylilies already planted and want to add some shorter lilies.

I live in zone 4/5 and would prefer pinks, whites, purples, wines, etc. No oranges. :-)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marylu

Comments (7)

• alina_1
    17 years ago

Asiatic: all Pixies, Lollipop is not dwarf, but shorter than regular asiatics. I just bought Black Bird - it is stunning! There are more here
    Oriental: Mona Lisa, Garden Party, Foxtrot.

• leslie197
    17 years ago

I have used both Mona Lisa and Garden Party. I bought mine as a mix of four varieties in 2002 from Van Bourgondien, which has a lot of bad reviews on the Watchdog. For these, however, they were just fine, at least back then. I only used them as annuals in pots, but everything bloomed beautifully.

Of the 4 orientals my favorite was Mr. Sam (the 4th was Mr Ed - no not the horse). Mr. Sam is quite short, maybe a foot tall with a nice clear pink color with darker dots and white edges. It is very good for pot culture because all the blooms seem to face out. Mona Lisa is very similar but with more white in the center. Garden Party white with yellow. Mr. Ed was a white according to my bulb spreadsheet, but I honestly can't remember it at all.

The asiatics on the Lily Nook site that Alina 1 suggested look really great! I have never tried the Lily Nook, but if they checkout on the Watchdog I may try some myself. I wasn't going to buy anything more this season, but they look so nice & you're posting reminded me how much I enjoyed the small ones &... the we're all such enablers here on the Garden forums :~) so why don't we both buy some.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

alina and leslie.... :-)

Thanks for the info. I will be checking them all out! I have been really good this year. Only bought 29 roses and 1 new daylily. So I figure that I can buy some lilies and still be good?

I am looking for short ones to put in the garden room. Most of the 4-5 foot tall ones are just too tall for that area. I have some in my back garden that easily reached 6-7 feet this year. They were humungous! This picture was taken last year and I had just replanted them the previous fall after digging up and thinning out. This year there were many more stalks and taller/bigger.
    {{gwi:1038070}}
    Marylu

• lilium_guy56
    17 years ago

I have more lilies than I deserve. I got some short lilies called PIXIE LILIES. these were from BRECKS but others have them. They get no more than 12" high with the same size blooms as normal height lilies. The bulbs are normal size. I've had mine 11 years and they stay short and multiply the same as others. I have 14 colors of them.

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Great picture Marylu.

Lilium guy 56 - I envy you - 14 colors! I don't have that many lily growing spots in my yard.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

DENIA is a nice short 12" Asiatic.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tyshee
    17 years ago

Actually Denia will truly stay short. Most of the lilies you all mentioned are three feet at least in my yard. The lily Nook is good. Ordered several times. Valley K. Greenhouse in Canada is great also. If it doesn't rain I will try and check on what truly has stayed short. Petit Pink stays small. Sparks is small. Orange Dwarf and Orange Delight are small. They are orange but such a sherberty orange with gold and yelllow. Euro Joy and Matrix are not tall lilies. You can stunt their size by holding back on fertilizers and using less water but that doesn't seem right to me.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting