Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So many choices, so little experience...

Posted by hardin 7 SE OK (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 16, 09 at 1:55

I would love to try growing lilies. But, with so many out there, I am a little overwhelmed and don't know where to begin. So here is my list of questions/ideas.

1) My favorite colors: Red, orange, and yellow or mix of those colors. Fragrance a plus.

2) I'd prefer those under 3 feet tall, unless they are very strong stemmed. Oklahoma has strong winds often.
3) With a small budget, who has the best prices and good customer service?

4) Which are the best multipliers, year to year?

5) What are some good companion plants with lilies?

6) For longest season of bloom, which types begin early and end later?

7) I have clay soil, which isn't too heavy, but to reduce chances of rotting, would it be a good idea to add a little sand under the bulb before planting? Should I add any type of fertilizer, like bone meal, or just wait until spring?

I am sure to have more questions, but this is a good start.

Thank you,
Vickie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So many choices, so little experience...

Hi Vickie,
Your right, lilies comprise a large genera of possibilities, that's what makes them so interesting.
I like to use lilies to go in between other plants, as an added exclamation point in the garden....this helps hide the ripening foliage and reduces the need to stake.
As a beginner, you may find the asiatic or LA bulbs the easiest. Usually they are cheaper in price, multiply quickly and the least fussy...although most bulbs are pretty easy....you may even be able to do some trading with others in your area. Lots of times the 'big box stores' sell bulbs pretty cheap, only problem there is you never really know what your getting.
Here is some pics of different types.
Flora

Here is a link that might be useful: Some lily pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here