Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evej1

asciatic lily

evej1
11 years ago

hi, i am new to gardening. at a previous temporary home, i noticed my neighbour had some lovely flowers in a pot that had been blooming for the 6 weeks i lived there. just before i moved out i bought an asciatic lily plant fully bloomed like next doors. and planted it in a pot, with it,s original dry funny looking soil and some compost with it. it bloomed lovely for a week. then i moved and took it to the new place, it was left overnight in front garden with no sun, when i returned following day it had discoloured and was drooping and brown. i i put the pot straight in the back in full sunshine, but the flowers are nearly all gone. please give advise, i have read up a little and i hav'nt over watered, will they bloom next spring, and why were my old neighbours still in full bloom. thanks

Comment (1)

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

Each individual lily flower only lasts so many days - sometimes between 4 and 7 days. If your potted one was purchased in full bloom with no more buds left to open, it's finished blooming for the season. Your neighbor's plant might have some unopened buds left to go so it's lasting longer. Asiatic lilies will not give you a second bloom.

Don't water it anymore - you can't stop the normal dying back cycle on lilies. When it's really brown, cut the stalk down leaving 4-6 inches above the soil line.

Your lily will go through it's normal cycle, turning brown and dropping leaves, etc. - this is necessary to replenish the bulb for next season.

Although some people have good luck with them in pots for many seasons - you do run the risk of the bulb rotting from staying too wet over the winter. They're happiest in the ground - I think anyway - and in a spot that affords them as much sun as possible.

Lily bulbs don't need a lot of water - the bulb itself is a self contained unit. In a pot or in the ground, they like soil that drains well.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz