Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asciatic lily

Posted by evej1 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 7:22

hi, i am new to gardening. at a previous temporary home, i noticed my neighbour had some lovely flowers in a pot that had been blooming for the 6 weeks i lived there. just before i moved out i bought an asciatic lily plant fully bloomed like next doors. and planted it in a pot, with it,s original dry funny looking soil and some compost with it. it bloomed lovely for a week. then i moved and took it to the new place, it was left overnight in front garden with no sun, when i returned following day it had discoloured and was drooping and brown. i i put the pot straight in the back in full sunshine, but the flowers are nearly all gone. please give advise, i have read up a little and i hav'nt over watered, will they bloom next spring, and why were my old neighbours still in full bloom. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asciatic lily

Each individual lily flower only lasts so many days - sometimes between 4 and 7 days. If your potted one was purchased in full bloom with no more buds left to open, it's finished blooming for the season. Your neighbor's plant might have some unopened buds left to go so it's lasting longer. Asiatic lilies will not give you a second bloom.

Don't water it anymore - you can't stop the normal dying back cycle on lilies. When it's really brown, cut the stalk down leaving 4-6 inches above the soil line.

Your lily will go through it's normal cycle, turning brown and dropping leaves, etc. - this is necessary to replenish the bulb for next season.

Although some people have good luck with them in pots for many seasons - you do run the risk of the bulb rotting from staying too wet over the winter. They're happiest in the ground - I think anyway - and in a spot that affords them as much sun as possible.

Lily bulbs don't need a lot of water - the bulb itself is a self contained unit. In a pot or in the ground, they like soil that drains well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here