Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing lilies from seed

Posted by Ivan21 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 10:15

Hi,

3 weeks ago I received some small lily seedlings from a relative. They're supposed to be tall, with white flowers and red long stamens. The only advice my relative gave me was to water the seedlings regularly and watch out for red beetles.

Since I've never grown lilies before I would need some help what to do with them next. Currently they're about 15 cm tall and some leaves are still coming out.
How and when should I transplant them? I'm guessing I'll have to separate them a bit? When can I plant them into the garden? If I'm correct they like rich and well drained soil and sunny positions?

Thanks in advance for any help, If and when I get them to flower I'll send a picture as a reward.

Wishing a nice day to everybody

Ivan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing lilies from seed

I actually read that seedlings of some lilies are not particularly fond of being baked by strong sun , so I think they may need some shading. If there is not too hot and too dry you can just as well plant them now, then they have more time to establish themselves before winter.If they are supposed to be hardy in your zone they will survive. Soil not too rich, especially some salts I do not recall names at the moment. Well drained is important, best in a raised bed.

o

If you get one of those polystyrene boxes used for shipping grapes that are about three inches deep, about 12 wide x 16 long you can add extra holes - about as fat as a finger - and then put in around an inch of potting medium over the bottom.

Mark out a grid pattern so you end up with three across and four down the length - 12 seedlings in all. You can do a row and fill as you go. Fill up to nearly the brim of the box and water lightly. You can add about half a measure of sharp grit to four measures of potting mix.

Or you can plant your seedlings individually into 6" pots at this stage. Later they will need something larger, however.

Lilies aren't partial to superphosphate. They get brown bits on their leaves from the fluoride.

Many of the lilies have a set of basal roots which store the food for them to get started in the new season.

Once they get growing, though, they form stem roots ABOVE the bulb. That's why they get planted quite deeply. It's those roots that support the stem, leaves and buds.

When they come up next year you can use a sparing amount of slow release fertiliser to help them grow on and form bigger bulbs.

You might not see flowers for three years.

As the bulbs get larger you might want to plant them out into a special area free of perennial weeds. They like the edges of deciduous shrubberies/woodland for the dappled light and leaf mould but they don't like to compete with surface roots from trees such as maples.

o

Congrats on your seedlings. I've tried WSing them for 2 season with no success. Can you tell me are you using potting soil, if so did you add fertilizer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here