Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I grow lilies from seed?

Posted by nopeeking (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 11:13

Hi. I'm in Ontario, Canada. I'm wondering how to start seeds from a friend's lilies. They are the type pictured on this page:

http://www.northstarlilysociety.com/
The black seeds are all along the stem. I'd like to know how to plant them...when to do it (I'm assuming the best time is when the seeds are ripe and start falling)...how to care for the seedlings...how long it will take the bulbs to mature to flowering plants.

Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I grow lilies from seed?

I've never done it myself, but if you go back to the north star lily site there should be a link to the North American Lily Society site and they have instructions on starting lilies from seed. I'm guessing that there's likely a Canadian site too as there are some excellent lily growers/sources in Canada. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

o

Just "google" that phrase and you'll get lots of hits.

o

Since these are bulbils, googling on growing from seed may be a little confusing. Try the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: NALS lily propagation

o

Thank you for posting this question. I too found bulbils on some new lilies this year and started them earlier in the summer when they started to drop. I searched on this forum and found a good post on how to start them but the NALS site has the same information.

I also tried hybridizing this year and was about to post a question about how to germinate seeds. My seeds are still ripening in the pods but it won't be long now before they are ready to harvest.

Kayman, thank you for that link it also has the seed germination process. I also found that it has the online register database which is something I had been looking to find.

Is there someplace that keeps a large database with pictures? All but 2 of mine are NOID's from box store mixes that I'd like to find names for if possible. Not that I don't appreciate them w/o names but it would just be easier to have a name than to assign a strange garden name like "the lily by the fence".

o

"Is there someplace that keeps a large database with pictures?"

I can't think of one single databse that is truly comprehensive.

NALS has an image gallery that is sometimes useful (http://www.lilies.org/imagegallery.html).

There is also the Online Lily Register (http://www.lilyregister.com/), which has a few pictures accompanying the written descriptions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here