Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steenawoo

how and when to cut lillies

steenawoo
18 years ago

i saw a neighbor cut down the passed bloomed lillies, can i? i'd prefer it if they weren't too tall next year if that makes a difference. and...how far down do you cut lillies for arrangements?

thanks everybody!

Comments (14)

• steenawoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you - very helpful. happy gardening!

• Sweet_Pea_68
    18 years ago

Kdjoergensen - Now I'm worried!
    I send a friend a 'Mero Star' oriental lily in spring. Just recently, she went on a trip for a week (it was just about ready to bloom), and when she came back, something had chewed away at the bottom of the stem - the whole plant had toppled over as a result (squirrels & rabbits can be a problem in her yard). She cut off the stem where it had been chewed, placed it in a bucket of water, and it flowered.

Will this lily come back?
    Might it propagate itself, or will it die?

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

We grow thousands of lilies for cutflower production. According to the experts in our field, it is only necessary to leave 1/3 of the stem after cutting the lily. This leaves plenty of energy to feed the bulb for next season.

• anniew
    18 years ago

I agree with you flowerfarmer. However, to clarify, you must leave 1/3 of the stem that still has leaves on it. If the bottom leaves have browned and dropped off for whatever reason, you must leave 1/3 of the part that still has viable leaves...Ann

• Maggie45
    18 years ago

Do you cut back the lilies before winter?

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I leave the foliage on my lilies to die back naturally. Once they have turned brown, more than likely it will take just a "tug" to dispose of the brown stems. Leave the green foliage up because it feeds the bulb for next year's growth. Your foliage and flowers will get bigger and stronger for it, and your bulbs will multiply.

Susan

• SunnySmiles51
    18 years ago

When I the best time to divide them. I have some Orientals that I cut off just the first foot on top. they were at least 5 foot tall this year and loaded with blooms.
    I have never divided them and they have been in this spot for three years. I would like some in other parts of my garden.
    I am also looking for some other colors. Mine is Bright Pink and White, Heavy speckles. I can email a picture.
    Sunny

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

Usually you devide them in late fall to very early spring but anytime wont hurt it could delay blooms is all but if you use B1 and hurry to plant and NOT let the roots die out at all then they should be fine for blooming. Just make sure to prepep the soil before you plant and replant the orginal plant back to its spot this will give the vital nutrients they will need
    Have fun spreading the plants all around.

• messymissa_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My lilies are done blooming this spring, is there anyway 2 get them 2 bloom again by cuttin them down?

• svtobar_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'm a first time gardener, and my tiger Lilly's have already bloomed and fallen off the stem, but now my stems are brown? should I cut it, or leave the brown steam alone? Some say cut it, some say leave it? Confused! advice please!

• finchelover
    12 years ago

can I just leave my lilies and let winter take care of it or will that hurt the bulbs

• TutuReese
    10 years ago

I have about 7 Better Day lillies around the yard that were planted in spring from plantings and not bulbs. I have no clue as I'm from zone 9 and am living in zone 6... do I cut them to the ground in fall like now when they are still flowering a bit, wait until they die down and then cut them at the ground or??? Sorry, not a good gardner in the snowy regions I now live! Any advice appreciated!

• simsage
    8 years ago

Hi a friend just told me the tiger lilies she received as a gift 3 days ago are smelling like urine!!!! the water that is she changed the water this morning but a few hours later the smell started coming back???? anyone ever heard of this???

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH