Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roadside lilies Lilium formasanum?

Posted by ging 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 11:36

Hi,
I'm seeing conflicting photos and information on this lily, so I'm hoping you can help. Found these on the roadside in Georgia. They have no basal foliage - just the minimal leaves on the stem. Only one to two flowers per stem (that might be due to the site, food, water) and they were approximately 3' tall. Really enjoyed the site - mixed in with Manfreda that was setting seed.
Appreciate any help and thank you!
Ging
Will follow this post with another that has a close-up of a single flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roadside lilies Lilium formasanum?

It does look like L. formosanum to me (though I'm no expert). Unlike most lilies, this one has a reputation for springing up in places not intended by the gardener . . .

This post was edited by tonydxn on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 10:54

o
RE: Roadside lilies Lilium formasanum?

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 9:27

Yep, this one is a weed in some countries (like Australia), so I bet that's a garden escape.

You know that it blooms the first year from seed...amazingly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here