Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artist38_gw

crinums

ARTIST38
18 years ago

Looking for information on where to buy crinums and also how to care for them, when to plant, etc. Is it true that they can take years to bloom?

Comments (10)

• paulinep
    18 years ago

I received a passalong crinum from a friend about 5 years ago and it put out one or two blooms in the past, but WOW, you should see it go now! Here are two pictures.

Pauline

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

{{gwi:60323}}

This is the only crinum I have ever seen. It was a pass along. I think it is the one known as 'milk and wine'. It has been there for several years and increases in size and bloom potential each year. It has been sending up bloom stalks since around the first of June. I was told by the donor to plant the bulb deep and to put it where it would never need to be moved. I think that might have a lot to do with winter hardiness. The bulb had originated in a warmer area, in Texas. Recently, I read an article on crinums which stated that they are very durable and will survive forever. My conclusion is that the older the plant, the more blooming potential. EP

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

{{gwi:60322}}

Here is a closer view. EP

• brunswickcounty
    18 years ago

Artist 38 - I was just wondering if you had located a "local" source for crinum lillies? I see you are in zone 8 in NC (so am I) and I had hoped to find some to plant this spring.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Try Plant Delights Nursery - 2006 catalog just came out with a large offering of various crinums. They are not inexpensive, but this is a great nursery with a marvelous reputation and a huge selection of less common perennials and bulbs. And they are located in North Carolina, outside of Raleigh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Nursery

• brunswickcounty
    18 years ago

Thanks, gardengal -- I live about two hours south of Raleigh, so I can either order off their website, or take a trip to their store. I was hoping to find a source that's not so expensive, but I guess if the plants last forever, you have to pay a little bit more for them.

• azngrnthumbs
    18 years ago

eBay

www.ebay.com

R

• njoynit
    18 years ago

Here is another source,but is TX

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcella sheapeard

• katlynn719
    18 years ago

I am in FL and love crinum lilies. The are so easy to grow. I bought a milk and wine variety at a local nursery (I paid $7 for 2 mother bulbs). I bought a huge Grand Crinum at Home Depot for $30. I also bought a big pot of Crinum 'Bradley' at the same time. It had one mother bulb and 9 babies. I paid $15 for the whole pot. All were purchased off season during fall sales. I would check local nurseries, Home Depot, Lowes, and then ebay.

• brunswickcounty
    18 years ago

I'll check out HD and Lowe's tomorrow during my lunch hour. Knowing the usual selection of plants here in Wilmington, there won't be anything there, even in the discount bin -- this is the "land of boring gardens"....

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living