Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crinums

Posted by ARTIST38 zone8A (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 11:50

Looking for information on where to buy crinums and also how to care for them, when to plant, etc. Is it true that they can take years to bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crinums

I received a passalong crinum from a friend about 5 years ago and it put out one or two blooms in the past, but WOW, you should see it go now! Here are two pictures.

Pauline

o

This is the only crinum I have ever seen. It was a pass along. I think it is the one known as 'milk and wine'. It has been there for several years and increases in size and bloom potential each year. It has been sending up bloom stalks since around the first of June. I was told by the donor to plant the bulb deep and to put it where it would never need to be moved. I think that might have a lot to do with winter hardiness. The bulb had originated in a warmer area, in Texas. Recently, I read an article on crinums which stated that they are very durable and will survive forever. My conclusion is that the older the plant, the more blooming potential. EP

o
RE: crinums/close up

Here is a closer view. EP

o

Artist 38 - I was just wondering if you had located a "local" source for crinum lillies? I see you are in zone 8 in NC (so am I) and I had hoped to find some to plant this spring.

o

Try Plant Delights Nursery - 2006 catalog just came out with a large offering of various crinums. They are not inexpensive, but this is a great nursery with a marvelous reputation and a huge selection of less common perennials and bulbs. And they are located in North Carolina, outside of Raleigh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Nursery

o

Thanks, gardengal -- I live about two hours south of Raleigh, so I can either order off their website, or take a trip to their store. I was hoping to find a source that's not so expensive, but I guess if the plants last forever, you have to pay a little bit more for them.

o

eBay

www.ebay.com

R

o

• Posted by njoynit Z8b Coastal ~seclude (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 16, 06 at 13:32

Here is another source,but is TX

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcella sheapeard

o

I am in FL and love crinum lilies. The are so easy to grow. I bought a milk and wine variety at a local nursery (I paid $7 for 2 mother bulbs). I bought a huge Grand Crinum at Home Depot for $30. I also bought a big pot of Crinum 'Bradley' at the same time. It had one mother bulb and 9 babies. I paid $15 for the whole pot. All were purchased off season during fall sales. I would check local nurseries, Home Depot, Lowes, and then ebay.

o

I'll check out HD and Lowe's tomorrow during my lunch hour. Knowing the usual selection of plants here in Wilmington, there won't be anything there, even in the discount bin -- this is the "land of boring gardens"....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here