Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greattigerdane

Lilium superbum (Turk's Cap Lily)

greattigerdane
14 years ago

I was given these seeds/bulbs from what the person said was a turkish turban, but I think what they probably meant was a turk's cap lily.

The seeds were taken from the stem, but I'm not sure how deep they should be planted, or should they just be thrown on top of the soil? Some are a little bigger then the others, so maybe some won't take? Maybe not really ready to plant?

{{gwi:1038449}}

Thanks

Billy Rae

Comments (8)

• handymandy_gardener
    14 years ago

Last Year I collected the same size seeds from a plant in a hotel Garden, I planted them 6 to a 4" pot and left them in my Garage over the winter this spring I planted them as was,in my garden,and all came up no problem I think it will be a couple of years befor they bloom
    I am in Ontario Z3

• greattigerdane
    Original Author
    14 years ago

handymandy-gardener,

Maybe I should have planted mine in a pot, but today I planted them in my garden. I'm still not sure how deep they should have been planted, so I just buried them a couple of inches down into the soil, hopefully they won't rot!

Billy Rae

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

I'm wondering if what you have are the bulbils from Lilium Tigrinum rather than Superbum.

Superbum's native Habitat: wet meadows and woodlands with moist but well drained soil
    Â Height: 3-7 feet
    Â Flower size: 2-1/2 inches across
    Â Flower color: orange
    Â Flowering time: July to September
    Â Origin: native

The Turk's-cap lily flowers have a green star at the center which makes a good identifying mark for this plant. The green star will distinguish L. Superbum which is a native plant from L. trigrinum originally from Asia.

L. Tigrinum flowers are Turk's cap shape, deepy recurved and downward facing. Primarily spotted orange, but do come in other colors - yellow, cream, white, pale lavender, peach, and mahogany.

In any case, planting them is fine - the bulbils are naturally falling around the parent plants now and all they really need is contact with the ground. Their tiny root shoot will pull them down into the soil to the depth they want to be. Since you planted yours, I'd suggest you install a marker since they look like blades of grass the first season - easy to forget and mistakingly pull them up or dig and plant over them.

If they are, indeed, L. Tigrinum, expect 100% germination rate and at least three growing seasons to reach blooming size. Not sure about the L. Superbums.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

As duluthinbloomz4 said, I think those are bulbils of Lilium tigrinum or Tigrinum splendens.
    Make sure to mark where you planted the bulbils, because the first leave looks like grass or you'll will pull it out by mistake as I did.

And yes, it will take a few years to bloom but worth the wait. When they emerge in spring, don't break the shoot or you won't have any bloom.
    When happy, they'll grow to 6 ft. tall.
    You'll also have a lot of bulbils.

I think this is what you'll have:
    {{gwi:1535}}

Enjoy you Lilies. They are beautiful in July.

• greattigerdane
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I guess I'm not sure what will come up, whether it be Lilium tigrinum. Tigrinum splendens, or something else all together.
    I'm sure I will enjoy whatever they are! It's too bad that it will take a few seasons until they get to the blooming stage though.
    I didn't mark the spots, but I'll keep an eye open for what looks like blades of grass and I WON'T pull them. Looking forward to the flowers and MORE bulbs!
    Wow! Nice photo, beautiful flower pitimpinai!

Thank you all for the information!
    Billy Rae

• leftwood
    14 years ago

Lilium superbum does not produce bulbils (bulbs on the stem above ground). Fyi, L. tigrinum(old name) is L. lancifolium, and L. splendens is a type of L. lancifolium.

• leichty
    13 years ago

I found this growing along the woods and would like to know how to move these to my house, And are these supose to be wild.

• Marie of Roumania
    13 years ago

leichty, it looks like a lilium pardalinum, or leopard lily, native to the pacific coast. very cool! i would mark where it is and move the bulbs in the fall when it's going dormant. good luck! it's a beauty.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting