Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djharman_gw

Are my lilies dying?

djharman
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have some asiatics that have completed their bloom. The stems are already getting very brown and dying. Is this normal seasonal dieback or are the lilies dying? I have had some trouble with some other flowers (not lilies) and fungus. My "landscaper" is no help; he just says that everything, including leaf spot on other flowers, is o.k.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

Sounds like a case of botrytis fungal infection. I've had major problems with this also this year. If there is no green left I would go ahead and cut the stem off at ground level (put in garbage, not compost). Clean up the garden area of all leaf debris and apply some clean mulch in the fall. Symptoms are spots on leaves and leaves browning from the bottom up. I'm talking "crispy" browning here. It doesn't attack the bulb but may set it back for next year as the bulb may not have received adequate nourishment. But they usually do come back for the next season if some other disease doesn't attack the bulb.

• djharman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Would this have caused the brown spotting that I saw on the petals before the blooms died?

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

Yup! I understand warm humid air nourishes the problem and breezes can spread it from plant to plant. So another tip is to not plant them too close together.

• ticksmom419
    18 years ago

djharmon, I think I've seen you on another forum with spot problems! And I've got a lily stalk or two with the browning. I did last year, too. You should definitely watch for aphids while it's in a weakened state. Last yaer, mine browned first (actually almost a purpley brown) and before I knew it, they were completely infested with lily aphids. And those buggers spread virus to a good number of my other lilies, which I discovered this year. So watch for it and cut that stalk the minute the green is gone.

Your yard sounds like mine.

Karen

• djharman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes Karen that was me. I am having all kinds of trouble, and this is really the first year that I have gardened. If I didn't love flowers so much I would give up. Where do you live? I wonder if all this has to do with the climate. It is hot and humid here.
    I sent a picture to a lily grower and he said part of my problem was scorch from the mulch. He said the sun radiates off the mulch and burns the lower leaves. But the upper leaves seem to have that fungus. I hope we have better luck next year.

Diana

• ticksmom419
    18 years ago

I'm in Raleigh, NC. Probably very similar climate to yours. I think that all of the rain early in the summer and then the terrific heat, followed by even more rain recently kind of set us up for fungal problems. I swear, after a few days of steamy rain, you can just about watch the fuzzy moldy stuff explode on your plants! But don't lose heart. Each year is better and easier because your plants will become more established, you'll become more ruthless about getting rid of things that are not working in your yard, and you'll learn more all the time. My first couple of years were very frustrating, but this year has not seemed so stressful to me. More like the gardening hobby is supposed to be -- relaxing and rewarding! But I knew nothing and had much to learn. These forums are great for getting information and help with your specific problems. Next year probably WILL be better!

Karen

• mimisesiuk_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

This is my second year with Botyris in my lilies. last fall i divided them thinking this year would be good and I have the same problem. is there something that I can do so I can solve the problem .

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz