Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cc_coraline

Oriental/ lilies in general myths or facts?

cc_coraline
14 years ago

This year I got a bunch of lilies this year some asiatic, orienpets,and orientals and I researched orientals and they say that they only last for 3 to four years in the garden is this true? Also heard that they are very slow to multiply if they even do is this true? And I heard that they are very sensitive to ethenyle and if they are exposed to it that it can cause them not to bloom because i'm in town by a semi major road and I would have ruled this theory out but my new lily Black beauty never bloomed it came up about three feet but has no buds at all so it that true? All of the other lilies (all my tiger lilies, a Super nova orienpet, a Landini, my other lilies from years before bloomed, and about another 10 new lilies variying all bloomed but my one oriental lily didnt)

I've lived here for about 2 years now with all my lilies in the same spot and they always came up just fine here in Fond du lac

thanks for the help Cc_coraline

Comments (13)

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

I have not had much success with Oriental Lilies. They don't usually come back the following year.

On the other hand, my Trumpet and Asiatic keep on multiplying.
    Orienpet also is doing fine, but multiplies much more slowly than Trumpet and Aisiatic.

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

Some of my Orientals failed after the first season, the rest petered out over a couple or three seasons. So I don't bother with them anymore. I stick with the Asiatics - which do multiply and get better every year.

• leftwood
    14 years ago

Not sure where Fond du Lac is - MI/WI/MN?

I live just west of Minneapolis, MN. Orientals are more picky regarding needs compared to most other hybrid lilies, but if they get what they want, they are long lived. While most hybrid lilies prefer neutral to slightly acid soils, they are somewhat tolerant of somewhat alkaline soils, which are certain death for orientals, which prefer acid soils and are usually tolerant of neutral soils. In a similar manner, orientals are not as tolerant of summer heat extremes as other hybrids are. Oriental lilies also require better soil drainage than most other hybrids. Hybrid oriental lilies are easier to grow than oriental species in general, yet I grow 3 species orientals here without problems: L. speciosum var. rubrum (6 yrs), L. speciosum var. album (4 yrs), L. auratum (3 yrs).

Black Beauty is a hybrid of oriental lily and asiatic lily (L. speciosum var. rubrum x L. henryi) and is much easier to grow, and hardier. Mine has been thriving and multiplying for 10 years.

• cc_coraline
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in WI
    SO if I'm understanding this hybrid oriental lilies are hardier than orientals in general or are they more or less the same?
    What about Turks caps are they hardy like asiatic and trumpets or more like orientals?

Are trumpets as hardy and reproductive as asiatics?

And how slow reproductive and how hardy are orienpets?

Thanks for the help Cc_coraline

• cc_coraline
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh and how hardy are tiger lilies

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Trumpets are very hardy and thrive in Chicago. In my garden, they usually bloom later than Asiatics. This is my 'Golden Splendor':
    {{gwi:360447}}
    I have several others that I have not taken picture of.
    They don't multiply as fast as Asiatic. I like them both but have a lot more trumpets in my garden than Asiatic because I like their fragrance and tall stature.
    L. 'Regale Album' blooms very early in the season even before Asiatic:
    {{gwi:422465}}

The only orienpet I have is 'Silk Road':
    {{gwi:339797}}

I planted 9 bulbs 3 years ago. This year I saw 10 shoots whereas my trumpets usually double or triple every year. Asiatics make a lot of new bulbils every year.

If Tiger lily you mean is this:

{{gwi:1535}}

Then it is very hardy and long lived. It blooms when my trumpets begin to fade and right before L. speciosum. And it makes a lot of black bulbils along the stem. Quite prolific and gives a lot of oomph to the garden in summer.

I have different lilies in my garden to prolong the blooming season. I have lilies in bloom from late May though August. Right now my L. speciosum Rubrum is in bloom. They flop, though, because they get only an hour or so of mid-day sun.
    They would stand up straight in full sun.

• cc_coraline
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow pitimpinai those are beautiful lilies
    did your orienpets bloom the first year?

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Hi Coraline,
    Bloom order.....mine start with martagons then asiatics, LA hybrids, Trumpets, Orientpets and Orientals....this is of course a generalization, but roughly the way it goes. The tiger lilies I am familiar with have asiatic blood in them and are very hardy and productive.
    Orientals and Trumpets are not as hardy as Asiatics and need to be planted deeper with good mulching in the winter whereas, Martagons are the hardiest of all.
    Here is a pic of a Marty
    {{gwi:1035983}}

The amount of flowers and first time blooming depends on the age & size of the bulbs you plant. Some types are smaller than others when mature. Most likely yours didn't flower because they weren't mature enough. Make sure to feed them good and let them die back before cutting stems to build reserves for next years show.
    Generally Asiatics multiply the quickest, followed by LA hybrids, Orientpets, Trumpets, Orientals with Martagons taking years. Hence, the higher price for Martagon bulbs vs Asiatics.
    Also, some bulbs like to sulk more than others, not coming up for a year or so after planting......this is a common trait of the Martagon.
    Enjoyed the lovely pics from pitimpinai.

Flora

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Thanks, CC_Coraline & flora.
    As Flora said, whether lilies depending on the size of the bulbs. If they are small or Martagon or species, they'll take time to establish before they bloom.

If the bulbs are large, they usually bloom the first year, if you plant in early spring, the following spring-summer if you plant them in fall.

Tiger lily from tiny bulbils will take a few years to bloom.
    But, boy, it's worth the wait.

Yes, My 'Silk Road' bloomed the first year. I bought the bulbs from The Lily Garden. It is the most expensive lily I have ever purchased other than Martagon, but the bulbs were huge - as big as my fist. Silk Road is about 6 ft. tall. :-D

• bradarmi
    13 years ago

I pulled this thread up since now, most of my oriental lilies are over four years old and the oldest have kind of petered out. Last year, (even with the late frost) they were more floriferous. I did move a few of the largest, but I just keep buying more and more and tuck them into the garden.

I kind of remember hearing something about they start growing too deep - has anyone tried to dig them up and replant them a bit shallower? Just an idea.

• radiantpoppy
    10 years ago

I planted a few oriental lilies the fall before last and got very good results. I used the varietal Josephine that I got as bulbs via a catalog order and also some called Maru that I got as freebies from a friend that bought the potted and already blooming kind at Lowes [and was letting them die in their pots so he gave them to me]. Anyway... I planted them in the front bed with ammendments and bonemeal because the soil is clayish. I left the bedraggled stems on the ones already growing stand so they could capture what little energy they could on their few leftover leaves. Last year all of them came up and were extremely healthy. Every one of them bloomed as well. There was one in the shade of a tree and it's leaves were rather floppy and pathetic compared to the others but that tree has since been removed by roommate who was worried about it falling on our cars.

I was so impressed by them that I bought a bag of mixed oriental lilies and put those in the other spots were there weren't any.
    They are pretty big and showy so I planted more muted stuff like bee balm and ajuga around them so the yard has an overall balance.
    Of Note: My roommate uses pine needle mulch in the front yard so the soil is rather acidic, and as other posters have said, oriental lilies seem to like that.

Looking forward to seeing how much they have multiplied this coming spring.

Also of note: They emerge from the ground rather late so just be patient and remember where you planted them.

• wepeeler
    9 years ago

I'm in zone 5 and have both asiatic lillies and orientals. My orientals (stargazers and muscadets) get larger and larger every year. The asiatics tend to multiply but not grow very tall. Also, I'm on year 5 of the stargazers and they look better than ever!

• indica_
    9 years ago

i have had all sorts of lilies and seemingly every issue described in this thread. few years back i stumbled upon this link about micro-climates and have been re-organizing my garden to suit each plant

http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/weather/microcli.html

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022