Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me plant these Asiatic lilies

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 14:37

I bought three of these on clearance. I'd like to fill in some of the space between the daylillies and the knockout roses (about 3 feet).

These are Tiny Hope Asiatic Lily.

Tag says to plant 6-8" apart. In this picture, they are more like 12" apart. Will they fill in? Should I clump them together instead?

Also, I am confused about blooming. Online it says they only bloom once in the spring. Well it is August in Michigan and they are blooming in these little pots!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me plant these Asiatic lilies

Whatever the grower/supplier's conditions were, these lilies set their buds and bloomed when they were ready to bloom. And they'll bloom only once. Planted in the ground, next season they'll flower at whatever the normal time is for Michigan.

Since each of yours has two stalks, there might well be two bulbs - a main one and a pretty good sized offset. If you like the separate look and want to plant your three pots 12" or more apart, do so - over the years they will each grow into a clump on their own. They're easy to separate once a clump has gotten too big.

At this stage, planting them 6" apart will create the look of an already formed clump. But once the flowers are finished, the stems will start to yellow, then turn brown and woody so you'll be cutting them down anyway.

Go for the look that appeals to you most now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here