Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robiniaquest

Newbie height question

robiniaquest
16 years ago

I am a total newbie to lilies, just having planted my first ones in mid spring to early summer. I have been really excited to see all of these pop up and open, but I'm wondering about how well they are doing on the lily success scale.

My trumpets (leucanthum) reached a height of 1-2.5 ft, some putting out 1 or 2 big, gorgeous blooms, some not blooming at all.

My orientals (casa blanca and starfighter) have reached only between 9" and 14", but are blooming or setting buds. I think the Casa Blanca blooms might be small - only about 4.5 inches - but I have never seen them in real life before.

My L. rubrums have topped out at about 10" and are full of little buds.

And my mini oriental, Souvenir, only reached about 5" tall!!! But, it is blooming beautifully. Lots of buds, but blooms only about 3".

Since my asiatics and Easter lilies were bought potted, I am assuming they are normal size - about 12"-18".

I know they are not supposed to reach their full potential in the first season, but are these sizes a bit on the small size? Am I possibly doing something wrong in terms of siting, culture, etc? Or could it be due to late planting? (Some went in pretty late, like mid-June). Will they be likely to do better next year?

Thanks!

Comment (1)