Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I expect?

Posted by pameliap Z8 Florence, SC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 14:58

Out of curiosity, just to see if I could since I've never tried anything like this, I cross-pollenated two of my lilies. I used the pollen from Centerfold to pollenate Narbonne. I have three nice fat seed pods developing on the Narbonne. What now? How long should I leave the pods on the plant? Should I dry the seeds before planting, or plant fresh? How long before I can expect germination? As I said, this is my first time trying this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I expect?

What you can expect is nothing. Sorry to shatter your dream. The Lilies you crossed are HYBRIDS. All hybrid plants are infertile. Therefore the result will be seeds that will not grow.

o

LOL Not a dream...just curiosity. It took all of 30 seconds to pollenate them and no effort to watch them grow, so nothing lost.

o

Nice to laugh while we're learning. I would have had the same question...saved alot of anticipation liliumguy56!

o

Lilies may be hybrids, but that doesn't make them infertile. They just won't bloom true to the parent. Most daylilies are hybrid also but there are about 60,000 varieties as a result of hybridization.

o

It won't cost me anything to let the pods mature and see what comes out. I've done some more searching and found folks who are crossing hybrid with hybrid and getting results. I'm not expecting prize winning lilies, just a little experimentation to make gardening even more fun.

o

You never can tell - I have 3 daylily sprouts that came up from seeds I collected end of last year - have no idea in the world what they will look like when they eventually flower, but it sure has me curious !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here