Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Madonna Lilies?

Posted by remontant z6B TN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 15:20

I'd like to plant some madonna lilies, but I understand it's hard to find unvirused bulbs. Do you have any favorite sources you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Madonna Lilies?

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 23:46

Lilium Candidum is easily grown from seed and matures to flowering size relatively soon (by the next year or two). Growing from seed does not propagate virus.

The seed is immediate epigeal so it doesn't need a cold period to germinate.

-Helen

o

Helen, do you have a favorite source for the seed? :-)

--Reilly

o

Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 12:56

Hi Reilly,

You can buy it from The Lily Garden now. They also have other immediate epigeal seed for sale (Lankongense, Pumilum, and Regale and possible others). Also the North American Lily Society (NALS) has their seed sale in the spring - and toward the end of the sale makes seed available to non-members. My L. Candidum were grown from NALS seed which had "Cascade" strain available that year.

My lilies have some ripening seed pods now. Botrytis got many of them. Unfortunately Candidum, while virus resistant (hence it may be a virus carrier) is fungus susceptible and I didn't get to them fast enough with my antifungal spray. But each pod produces a lot of seed so while I will donate most of them to the NALS sale I'm sure I can spare some in a month or so when they are done ripening.

There is no reason you can't start them now in pots and bring them inside during the winter so they can get a super long first season. I accidentally did that last September when seed pods I brought inside after a rain got warm for too long and germinated. I potted them up and waited to put them outside until the following spring and they are still on my porch going strong.

My e-mail link on "My Page" is active so feel free to contact me.

-Helen

o

Helen, that would be wonderful! Can I send you some seeds in exchange? Single hollyhocks, shasta daisies, or Tennessee echinacea? :-)

o

Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 12:51

Hi Reilly,

Tennessee Coneflower seed would be nice. I got your e-mail and I just replied to it.

-Helen

o

Helen do you have any Madonna lilly seeds left?? I have white orchid lilly seeds I can swap with you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here