Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging up lilies and overwintering them

Posted by summerf z5Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 16:12

Hi, I have a bit of a problem. My granddaughter, Summer, age 7 is quite a gardener (thanks to her Nanny). Unfortunately she and her parents are moving away sometime in November. She is worried about her lilies more than anything and she asked me if I could save them for her and bring them to her new home in the spring. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia so needless to say it gets very cold here in the winter. If I dig them up late in the fall, and replant them in my garden will they be alright? I have heard that if I do that they may heave up out of the ground through the winter.
Is there anyone out there who can help us?
Sure would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Summer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging up lilies and overwintering them

Hi Summer,
Fall is the best time for planting Lilies (assuming we are talking about true Lilies), so they will be just fine. You have to cover them with 3-4 inches (7-10 cm) of soil for small bulbs and 4-6 inches (10-15cm) for larger ones if your Lilies are not Madonna lilies (L. candidum). I can not imagine that they can be heaved from this depth. Some lilies (Asiatics) are more hardy than others. If you have more tender varieties (Orientals, Trumpets, etc), you can add a thick layer of mulch to protect them.
Alternatively, you can pot your Lily bulbs up and keep pots in an unheated garage or basement. Keep the soil in pots moist but not soggy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here