Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery lily

Posted by trapped_in_amber 5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 07 at 17:22

Hi! I am new to posting here but have been reading and learning from the forums for a while now- I hope someone here can clue me in!

This is my 3rd summer living in my house and I have never seen anything growing besides grass and weeds where this lily popped up a little over a week ago. My mailbox was knocked down and so we set up a new one a foot or so over from where it was- and in it's place there are these lilies. They sprung up so quickly- the stems are very pale and there are no leaves- and I have no idea what kind it is. I would like to move them to a more appropriate spot where hopefully they will thrive. Can anyone help? I have some pictures but I don't know how to post them- here is a link:

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery lily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery lily

Looks like Amaryllis bella donna to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis bella donna

o

WOW- you're fast! It sure is an amaryllis, I didn't even think of that.....can you tell I'm inexperienced? Thanks so much- now I can post about this in the proper forum!

o

I think it's more likely what's often called Magic Lily, Resurrection Lily, Hardy Amaryllis, or Naked Lady. Amaryllis bella donna is not likely to survive in zone 5. Magic Lily is generally hardy to zone 5 sometimes zone 4. Lycoris squamigera is a member of the amaryllis family though. Usually the leaves come up in spring then disappear and the stalk shoots up in August.

o

Hostaholic2, that is exactly what it is- got a positive ID on the amaryllis forum. Thanks! I guess we were mowing over it the last couple of years because we had no idea it was there.

o

It is also known as the "surprise" lily--because it surprises you, popping out of nowhere like that. In the spring, you should see a handsome set of leaves there. They will die back (let them die naturally) and when you have forgotten about them, pop out with their late summer (evidently autumn, for you) "surprise."

I've tried several years to catch them in the act of popping up, but they must do it overnight--at least I have never been able to see them before they were already blooming.

Kate

o

I live in the Flatlands of Eastern Nebraska. Today, it is 102! My Mystery Lilies are blooming like crazy. When do I dig them up and separate?
Thanks,
Doug

o

yes that is naked lady/ spider lily. If you watch in the spring you will see what kinda looks like a mound of grass..wide edge leaves rounded on the ends. That is all there is in the spring. This will die back like daylilies do. Then come fall if you watch closly you will see them come up. They do grow very quickly as it is a memeber of the amaryllis family. if you have them mixed with other plants may be why you don't notice. When you smell the blooms the closely resemble the smell of a lilac. And their blooms don't last a long time. They like wet winters and drier summers. I divide mine any time after the greenery has left in the spring or after the flower dies in the fall. The bulbs can get hugh. Have had some get to be 5" in dia. I live in MN. I bought them over from WI

o

Doug, I also live in flatlands of eastern Nebraska. I dug mine up last fall and separated them. They all came back up this year and bloomed. Vicki

o

My this is an old post.

If anyone is interested the botanical name for the lilies is Lycoris Squamigera.

lily and lily

There are numerous things that go by the name of Surprise Lily, naked lady/spider lily, Resurrection Lily.

Lycoris Squamigera is one of the hardiest of the Lycoris.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lot of Lycoris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here