Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to order lily bulbs and best type to get?

Posted by athenainwi z4b/5 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 17:22

I've been gardening for a few years now and I want to get some lily bulbs to go behind my roses in my backyard. The area is clay soil, full sun, and on a hill. I want to know when is the best time to plant them in my area (spring or fall) and what type should I get? I'd like to get something fragrant and fairly sturdy so I was leaning towards the Orienpet lilies but I was also looking at the Longiflorum Asiatic lilies. I was thinking of buying a mix from John Scheepers and supplementing with a few individuals from other places like Bluestone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to order lily bulbs and best type to get?

Fall is the ideal planting time for lilies. As to what kind to get, it really depends on what you like. The La's I have all have nice sturdy stems, fragrance is very light, if you want more fragrance I'd suggest the Orienpets or trumpets for the strongest fragrance. I like The Lily Garden as a bulb source.

o

Thanks for the advice. I did see a few on the Lily Garden that looked nice but they are too expensive to buy a lot from. I might buy the Orienpet collection from John Scheepers and then get a few others from the Lily Garden to supplement. When do you order for fall planting? Is now too early?

o

Now is a good time to be placing orders, if you wait to long they may sell out of some varieties.

o

That's what I figured. I came up with a list that includes Orienpets, Trumpets, and Asiatics from John Scheepers and the Lily Garden. Now I just have to convince my husband to let me get them (he has to help plant them all so he does get a say in it).

o

I ordered from Hallson's and Brent and Becky's during their clearance sale the end of June and first of July. They both sent nice sized bulbs which most are already blooming. I took some pictures today and as soon as I get the names to the plants together I will post pics on the gallery side.

Get ready to get the fever when you start adding lilies to your gardens. ;-)
Nancy

o

Hostaholic2....
By "La's" Do you mean L/A hybids? I just tried looking it up and that's all I could find. Here is a link to one:

http://www.qscaping.com/NetPS-Engine.asp?CCID=20000010&page=pdpprint&PID=2734

Is this the type of lily you mean? Looking for ones that have nice stiff stems and don't get too wide. What is special about the hybrids? Trying to learn as much as I can, and right now am planning on planting some Asiatic and Orietals for blooms throughout the summer. Could I replace one of those varieties with the L/A hybrid because they don't flop as much? Thanks for you help and experience! :)

o

If you have clay soil, you may have trouble with trumpet lilies. I have not been able to get trumpet lilies to survive winters and I have been told that it is due to our clay soil here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here