Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidlibrarian_gw

Lily seems to have overgrown on top

kidlibrarian
15 years ago

I have had lilies, I believe Oriental, in my garden for a few years. For some reason this year on the top of two of my plants they almost look like they grew a whole new littler plant. These two did not really flower very well with multiple blooms as usual.

Did I do something wrong? Did they possibly get cut back too early and this happened? If I remember right I basically just cleared the brown leaves this past spring as I cleaned up my garden, but it is possible that another member of my family cut them down late fall of last year.

What can I do so this does not happen again? Should I maybe be dividing them? I just have never seen this before.

Thanks for helping

Comments (3)

• Michaela
    15 years ago

Daylilies will do as you describe, but of course, they are not lilies at all. Send picture.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

I agree, it sounds like Daylilies with proliferations, definitely not like true Lilies. Google "daylily proliferation" and see if it is what you have. If it is, post your question on the Daylilies forum. Folks are very helpful there.

Separating proliferations is a great way to start new plants. And of course, Daylilies have to be divided every several years. Fall is a great time to do it.

• dunwaukin
    15 years ago

She could have lancifolium hybrids and there are bulbils?? Post a picture and we should be able to figure it out for you

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!