Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Brown spots on leaves?

Posted by idahogardner 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 18:13

On some of my lillies, large brown spots have appeared on the ends of the leaves- they didn't flower well this year either.
In the same bed, I have a large daylily that the outer 1/2 of the leaves have turned brown.

Is this a disease?
I'll post pics if I can figure out how.

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Brown spots on leaves?

Try sprinkling some corn meal around the plants. Its an organic gardening trick used to get rid of weeds and crab grasses in gardens and on lawns.

o

Having a hot summer? Seems like many of my lilies have gotten "fried" this summer with day after day of high 80s and 90s. The only disease I can think of that it might be is botrytis; this usually kills the leaves from the bottom up until all the foliage is dead. Just in case and to be on the safe side, clean up the garden of all dropped foliage in the fall and perhaps add a thin layer of fresh mulch. This will help prevent any spores from splashing up next spring when the lilies return. Daylilies can also get scorched but I don't know much about their diseases. One bed of daylilies that I have doesn't get watered all summer and even though the foliage seems to scream in pain, they come back beautifully every spring. Yes, a picture might be helpful.

o

Thanks everyone.

Yes, VERY hot summer and all the ones effected are in a very hot spot. I had some botrtyis on a rose last year but I'm pretty sure that I got rid of it last year? I hope?

I'll take a pic and see if I can figure out how to upload it.

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here