Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I remove the tiger lilies?

Posted by Helena2013 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 18:45

Just purchased a house with a lovely garden (well, good "bones" anyway, LOL) but the owners apparantly were in love with tiger lilies because there are stands of them EVERYWHERE. The other thing they apparantly loved was the orange daylily because those are everywhere too. Along with rudbeckias.

Naturally my taste runs to the pastel toned English garden, LOL.

Anyway, I have always had lilies (Asiatics, Orienpets and a few Orientals such as 'Triumphator' which I adore!) and would like to have them in the new garden as well, but seem to recall that tiger lilies carry virus and so am wondering if I should attempt to remove the tiger lilies before introducing any of my Asiatic or other lilies into this new garden?

I know it will take me forever to get rid of the orange daylilies *sigh* but at least they aren't disease carriers...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I remove the tiger lilies?

Yes, they do carry a virus, so you may want to remove them or keep your other lilies a good distance away. You will have a big job removing the tiger lilies as well because all those little black bulbils will be sprouting for quite some time. Good luck to you.

o

I love tiger lilies. They are everywhere in my garden. I keep them to fill the gap between other lilies and lily spaciosum. That way I have lilies in bloom contiunously from early June to late August...that is three months of lilies. Can't beat that. :-)

o

I love the true tiger lilies. It's the one thing I have that people who see them ask to have- luckily I have an endless supply scattered around. Prolific bulbil producers. Late to bloom up here this year; just started yesterday so I'll have them through September. They're so nice against a green backdrop with the Walker's Low nepetas, etc.

I have yet to see them for sale anywhere - pretty much mail order only maybe?

Those are just about the last thing I'd consider getting rid of, but the OP said her preference ran toward the pastel - pastel these are not!

Now if I had the ditch lilies - those would be shovel and blow torch material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here