Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Who's grown these orientals? (marco polo, tom pouce, olivia)?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

I was thinking of growing one or all of these varieties. How were they? Scent, color, form, vigor (i.e. were they healthy? Were there alot of blooms per plant?)

Tom Pouce

Marco Polo

Olivia.

Thanks. :)

Comments (11)

• ego45
    18 years ago

I have Tom Pounce for the first year (from VanEngelen) and can't say enough good words about it:

The only thing I didn't like was a disproportionaly HUGE blooms on a relatively short 24" stalks, but it probably will be taller in subsequent years as all lilies does.

• KayLakeMan
    18 years ago

First year for Tom P and ditto EGO45. But what a gorgeous bloom!Had it right beside Dizzy, and between the 2 of them they blocked out everything behind.

• sutorbev_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have had Olivia lilies since maybe 5 0r 6 years ago when I got them from Brecks. They are so georgous and don't need staking. Part shade seems to be no problem. I do have a deer problem and have to get to the buds fast with my peppery spray. They always seem to get there before me with some, though I win with the most saved. This year we had a disastrous spring and one group grew quite small but the other group has one stalk over 5 feet tall. I am 5'2" so it is over my head by maybe 6 inches or so. the other stalk is about my height. I have pics if you want to see them ou can e-mail me. I can't see any way to attach a picture here although there is one in the posting above me. Also, I see Brecks no longer sells them, though they do have one that they rave about

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Tom Pouce was beautiful its first year of blooming, but not as attractive the 2nd year--a bit blotchy, and a couple of the plants did not return.

I've heard from others that oriental lilies are not long-lasting plants. That may be what's wrong with my Tom Pouce, but I'll hold out for one more year and hope it turns out all right.

Here's Tom at his best--his first year in my garden.
    {{gwi:306012}}

I've been buying more orienpet lilies lately--they seem sturdier and more reliable than the oriental lilies. But I'm hoping that my Tom Pouce manages to hang in there--it is such a lovely lily.

In terms of number of blooms, Ego's pic looks about right, but the second year, bloom count was noticeably less. Part of the oriental lily decline pattern? I don't know.

If you want a highly floriferous lily, again--the orienpet lilies are the way to go--very heavy bloomers, at least in my experience. As for scent, sorry, but I just don't remember.

Kate

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Oriental lilies not long lasting? This is not entirely true. It depends whether they thrive or not. I have had some lasting for more than 10 years. In my eyes it is long lasting for the lilies. Of course there can be a difference between the various varietes, but describing all oriental lilies as generally 'not long lasting' is not true.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

wieslaw59, what area are you in? Here in my area of MN most of them don't last for more than 2 or 3 years if that. There are a few exceptions. I had Tom Pouce once upon a time, long long ago. I've always wondered just where they thrive. Obviously there must be be someplace.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Hostaholic2, I'm from Denmark(West Jutland) which is marked as zone 6-7, but I only can keep plants marked as hardy to zone 5 in the US(very little or no snow cover).Many years ago I was a member of Danish Lily Club, and somebody imported some bulbs from the US! Some of the plants are still here(I'm not sure if it is exactly the same bulb, but they have multiplied). The names are probably lost now,or it would take me forever to find them. I recall Journeys End as very long living. Even L.speciosum Uchida is still here. One is very similar to Stargazer, I think it was called (Royal?) Commander?.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear they do well for you. Uchida is gorgeous but very short-lived for me. Here Casa Blanca has hung on for about 15 years now, and I still have a couple Stargazers that are barely hanging on. I just don't plant the orientals here anymore as I got tired of watching them fade away.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I just planted mine together with rhododendrons in acid peat. When I see that they begin to deteriorate, I dig them up and plant them another place.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

'Tom Pounce' dwindled for me and is now gone from my garden. Our soil here in Western Oregon is acid by nature and I have over 30 rhododendrons thriving in my garden without added peat but Orientals fade away for me, all of them.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

I have clay soil. In our area (Chicago), orientals do decline afer only a few years. Only asiatics really flourish. A few others like species lilies, too. Tom Pouce was beautiful, but did not live more than 3 years.