Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (14)

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

That's a lot of photos to embed in a thread, doesn't bother me unless they are large (yours are too large, at least the first one). You can code with thumbnails (don't know how to do that). There is a test forum here somewhere. Beautiful lilies BTW, no patience to copy and paste all the url's to see the rest of them.

Yours are a little bit too wide which makes me have to scroll w/my 17-inch monitor. Do you know how to resize them a little smaller and compress?

When I have that many photos, I usually throw together an easy html page using a template (old page) that I have used repeatedly w/black background and text and post in the Optional Link URL w/name of link.

Here is your first one. Here is how I coded for that, I made a .jpg out of it because you can't post html code tags in regular text. Note there is one space between the terminal "g" in img and beginning "s" in src.

{{gwi:218409}}

{{gwi:1038807}}

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

They aren't showing up for me.

Look at my code again. Just put quotes around what you posted and add the tags, it has to be very exact, then hit preview to make sure it is going to display the photos. Sometimes if you code wrong, you will just see nothing; since you posted the links, they do show, just doesn't embed the photos. It's easy once you finally get it.

Here is your code from the page source, won't let me copy/paste it:

{{gwi:1038808}}

Compare that to code that works:

{{gwi:218409}}

The photo names are different because for your code, I picked your code for a different photo. All your codes with correct url's are showing in the page source, just that the code is wrong. Ignore that long line (separator) underneath, guess I didn't get that trimmed off in the roundabout way I had to use to post it.

• doublej
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1038807}}

{{gwi:1038809}}

{{gwi:1038810}}

{{gwi:1038811}}

{{gwi:1038812}}

{{gwi:1038813}}

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

By jj, you've got it!!! Way to go and worth waiting for!!!

I was afraid the way the code split might have thrown you. I tried to code it all on one line, but the forum software split it like that, have no idea why.

Those are gorgeous, how beautiful they will be when they multiply. I did notice how straight they are growing even though they are staked. Looks like you have them in full sun.

Do you remember what the one is called in pic #3 and where you got it? It looks like a Regal only with such a pretty yellow center. I MUST make room for a few like that. The others are pretty two and recognize the tiger, the speckled ones I can find without a name 'cuz I've seen some close enough, see you have a Tiger, too. You are so lucky to have that nice fence to plant them along.

I sure hope some others will see these beauties after all you went through to get them posted. Nice job resizing, too. They weren't as bad as some as it was. Just right load time for me.

• doublej
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for hanging with me while I got that figured out!! Like I said, they are all from the Lily Garden. The one that looks like Regal but is yellow is a trumpet lily called Golden Sceptre.

The picture at the Lily Garden made it seem like it would have a much deeper yellow coloring but, I'm much more fond of the not so stark, creamy yellow anyways.

• doublej
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And the staking is more to counteract the God awful wind we have here more than the need to keep them from reaching or to support weight.

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Thanks, jj. Guess I didn't read carefully enough. I like that Golden Sceptre the way yours turned out. The others are so pretty, too. I'll check out that website, can fit about 3 of that one in with my others, colors are right, too.

I figured you staked because of the wind. I have to do that, too, even the one growing straight, esp. first year, and will probably continue to do many simply as a precaution.

Hope you post some photos next year as I'd love to see how they fill out along the fence. In your case the variety is really effective.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

I still can't see any pictures.I'm interested in seeing teh Golden Sceptre.

• philomena
    15 years ago

I still can't see the embedded pics here on the forum, so just did the cut-n-paste of the original URLs into a new page on my browser - they look gorgeous ! The Lily Garden has great quality bulbs. I'm betting that Golden Sceptre will grow to at least 5 feet next year - mine topped close to 6 feet in 3 years.

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

They are showing in his Aug 10 22:48 post, 6 of them.

That is upsetting because I helped him, and I can see them all.

Can you see this one of mine? It is coded the same way as I told him only comes off a different server. No one has ever said they can't see photos I embed, but have taken some of the older ones off my server.

{{gwi:1036769}}

• philomena
    15 years ago

yes, I can see your photo, and it seems every now and then I can see all 6 of the above photos. There is a time lag, I think, for the pics to load from the site hosting them. No need to get upset or take things so personally - there's such a variety of technology that people may be using that can be different from yours, from different browsers, different operating systems, hosting servers, internet connectivity, etc... For example, I now see only one of the pics in that 8/10 post, but if I right-click and choose "view image", a new browser tab opens and I can see the pics - and, it shows in the posting. So, lots of options available :-)

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

philomena, that would be evidence to me that his server (or pathway to & from it) has been "burping". You and linnea56 posted just a little over an hour apart. My server is extremely reliable, but that is not to say it hasn't acted up ever.

See you know some other things, I forgot about the right click view image. No, no, I don't take it personally other than I didn't want to disappoint him, obviously he could see them himself so he knew he had been successful. I even emptied my cache, but figured since I saw them in the first place, they have to be available. You're right, it could be a lot of things.

So you have Golden Sceptre, too! It is truly remarkable, checked out & bkmk'ed that lily site, verrrry nice. It would be nice to get now and get in the ground for better performance next year, my plant budget isn't overextended, but I kinda am :-). Some iris came today, don't want to waste them and have no good sunny spot for them, will stick them where I originally wanted them and then try to figure out if I need to move them next year. You aren't supposed to mulch iris, and the bed the lilies are in I can mulch the whole thing. But leaf mulch like I am using might not be as bad as wood chips, and as long as I leave part of the rhizome exposed thru it all, maybe it would be ok, iris don't like to be too wet, but that section even w/mulch things have to get deep roots going anyway. That's another thing I like about lilies (& iris), they don't seem to require much water in my zone, give them some now and then.

His and your GS, I could mix in with those in the pic I posted, Color Parade, left lots of room between those, think it might be an interesting combo and would like to play with possible hybrid crosses from something like that, don't have a clue how one would go about it, start like the daylily people are doing with theirs I guess.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets