Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smiddy_gw

Species Lily Collector

smiddy
17 years ago

As the owner of Smiddycroft Perennials, in Kincardine , Ontario, Canada, I was thrilled yesterday when a man came to my nursery seeking 'species lilies'. I have been stocking rare perennials for some time but, few local gardeners realize how rare some of my plants really are. Although I understand lilies to a fair degree it was fascinating to listen to a person who was consumed with an interst in 'species lilies'. He quickly pointed out to me that my Lilum Henryi that I had for sale contained not only the traditional 'orange' but also a 'sport', he said, with a white petal and a yellow centre'. He said that was very rare. He walked away with Lilum Rubrum, Lilum Tenufolium, a Tiger lily by the name of Yellow Star, not to mention the sport of Lilum Henryi. Although I specialize in hostas and rare ferns it's interesting to meet someone who knows more about lilies than I do. My hat off to you my friend! Although I've been specializing in perennials since 1993 it's gratifying to meet someone so knowedgable.

William J. Smith

Smiddycroft Perennials

Comment (1)