Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily bulbs from Jackson Perkins?

Posted by pandy 10sFL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 19:46

JP is having a sale on bulbs...anyone have any experience with them?? Ive bought roses from them before but nothing else.

mari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily bulbs from Jackson Perkins?

• Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 19, 06 at 21:50

Mari,
Just my experience...we bought quite a few lilies last fall/this spring. The ONLY ones which did lousy were from J&P. We got great ones from Brent and Becky's Bulbs, John Scheeper, The Lily Garden, The Bulb Crate and White Flower Farm. Only 5 of the 8 of J&P's orienpet mix even came up, and the stems were very skinny and short. There was only one small bloom on each stem. Then they just eventually shattered and the stems turned brown almost immediately. In comparison, the others were on big, thick stalks and each had several HUGE blooms, really at least 2x the size of J&P's.
Maybe someone else would like to chime in. :0) Phyl

o

I got great bulbs from all over. BRECKS, DUTCH GARDENS (best), etc, & JP, and Michigan Bulb Co. I bought fron JP & M.B.C because the price was something rediculously low like 100 for $15. I got small bulbs from both. Most bloomed but like Phylrae's the stems were small with few blooms. However thats because thy are young bulbs in such a low price. I left mine where they were and 3 years later they grew to normal size. If you don't mind waiting go ahead. Unless JP is stating TOP SIZE BULBS. Compare the stated size.

o

Phylrae- I had the same luck you did with lilies not doing well, only mine came from Lily Garden. I was very disappointed, as all the others I have ordered from them have been super.

o

Flowergirl70ks,
I'm so surprised that you got poor quality from Lily Garden....they have such a sterling rep and the ones I've gotten from them have been fine...
Yes, the J&P ones (Orienpet collection) were ridiculous...there is only 1 left of the 8 I planted...and as I said, the few that bloomed were literally 1/3 the size of the ones from JScheeper and The Bulb Crate. Tiny blooms, short, thin stems. :0( Phyl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here