Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to move surprise lillys

Posted by noplantwiz NC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 19:46

My Mother has some surprise lillys in her yard. I live in NC and was wondering if they could be dug up and then just mailed to me from OK. Would they surrive in the mail for 3 or 4 days? Should the green part be cut back, and the dirt taken off the bulb or what. Then should I replant them right away or wait til it gets cooler and what would I do with them til then? How deep do they need to be planted? Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to move surprise lillys

I am not a lily expert, BUT I have traded plants extensively and have moved surprise lilies... so here's my best advice:) I dug up the clump of lilies to be moved, planted it at the same depth and filled in soil, watered - and they did great.

To mail them - I would cut the green part down to 3-4 inches. Then remove as much dirt from the clump as I could to save postage $ without tearing apart the clump. Keep them in a cool shady place while you're working on them. I would put the clump left dry inside a PAPER bag to contain any dirt mess to put in the postal box. Plastic can kill them in the mail. Be sure and mark the box "live plants." Watch your mailbox carefully so they don't sit out and bake in the hot sun all day.

When they arrive, put in a cool shady place, water, and you can either plant immediately or let them rest and adjust with the roots soaking in water overnight (which is my preference).

Good luck to you!

o
PS, I Forgot...

One more thing - be sure to mark the location of the new plant! You don't want to accidentally dig into it next spring before its foliage pops up!

o
RE: How to move surprise lillys

If they are surprise lilies (Lycoris squamigera), than they should be dormant bulbs now, or blooming. There shouldn't be any leaves. Personally, I prefer to move them when the bulbs are dormant, either in summer after leaves die back but before flowers bloom, or after flowers bloom.

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here