Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations For Beginner

Posted by pomme8916 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 20:31

Hi, I am new to growing lilies i do not know much about them. I heard asiatics and the trumpet lilies grow and bloom from seed in about 18 months. Can anyone recommend
"-species lillies -" in theese categories: asiatic or trumpet lillies that grow fast for a beginner.

Thank you for your attention.

pomme8916

Happy Gardening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations For Beginner

#1 we need for you to tell us what zone you live in.
#2 if you want something to grow fast, don't start with seed. It will take years. Buy bulbs!
#3 Bulbs bloom as different times i.e. asiatics first, trumpets next, etc.
#4 number of blooms depends on the age/size of the bulb. You get what you pay for. Generally the smaller the bulb, the younger the plant, therefore not as many blooms as the same bulb that has been in the ground for 3 years.
Tell us more!

o

Hi, I really do not care if it grows fast or slow. But if species asiatics exist please let me know.

thanks

pomme8916

o

The parents of the asiatic hybrids include: amabile, cernuum, concolor, davidii & pumilum. All of these are easy from seed, though cernuum needs a little more care. If people in your area are successful with hybrids, these should do OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: NALS species gallery

o

Thanks. Could lillies aso be grown as houseplants. Thank you all for your contributions.

pomme8916

o

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 1, 07 at 23:41

Lilies need a few months of 30-40 degree chilling every year to leaf out in the spring and produce new blooms. So, they are not usually grown as house plants. (They also need more sun than can generally be gotten indoors.) lilies are however often bought as potted plants already in bud (the nursery did the chilling) and displayed indoors until their bloom is over. They are then either planted outside to come back the next year or discarded.

There are Trumpet lilies that MAY bloom their second season after being grown from seed (usually with only a single bloom). But they generally take a few years to get growing and blooming well. Regale and Leucanthum are two species trumpets that grow pretty quickly. The only asiatics I've grown from seed are Cernuum and Pumilum, and the seedlings did not do well at all for me. Kaymans caution is correct, you have to baby Cernuum more than other lilies, and possibly Pumilum as well, (these two are close relatives).

-Helen

o

"you have to baby Cernuum more than other lilies, and possibly Pumilum as well"

Aim for a dryish summer dormancy with good drainage. That's one reason (apart from the small stature) that pumilum is often recommended as a rock garden plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here