Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID type of lily by foliage?

Posted by anitadehoff Z8 Seattle/sunset 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 19, 06 at 21:33

Hi Everyone,

I planted 6 Vermeer asiatic lilies this spring. It was a little late in planting, I got them on sale. Four came up and three flowered. They looked like the photo's I've seen, maybe the color and it's gradation wasn't as soft. But my question is about the fourth lily that didn't flower. I wonder if it is not a Vermeer or possibly not an asiatic. The foliage is more blue. The shape of the leaf is different, a little narrower and has less of a tear drop shape. The spacing of the leaves are different, it has levels of circling leaves grouped close together then a gap between each level. The Vermeer had leaves spaced more evenly along the stem with less circling levels. This fourth lily is shorter and has bulbils and the other three do not.

Could the act of flowering or not flowering make them look different?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Laisan

Here's a link to a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermeer and ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID type of lily by foliage?

well thats what you get for buying late season on sale. LOL. sorry. I had that happen too for same reason. Sometimes the bulbs get mixed up at the growers. with millions of bulbs it happens. The Vermeer are obvious. What is the other one? Your picture didn't come up on my PC. I suspect it is an ORIENTAL or TRUMPET of some kind by your discription. Asiatics and American highbrids have slender leaves and usually slender. Orientals mostly have leaves that are on a short stem away from the stalk and darker green/ blueish. Why it didn't bloom is just because its slow. Some do, some don't. Because of the bulbils I'm going way out on a limb and take a guess...."EXPRESSION" resembles stargazer sort of but more white. Or else its a TRUMPET.

o
RE: ID type of lily by foliage?

Oh, sorry about the link. Here's another try. The Vermeer is on the left. Thanks lilium guy for the leaf descriptions of other lily genres.

Laisan

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 lilies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here