Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Leslie Woodriff or Scheherazade or both?

phylrae
16 years ago

I absolutely LOVE our Black Beauty & Arabesque lilies (which is almost finished blooming). I LOVE their rich colors and green nectaries or "sunburst/starburst" centers. I don't have Leslie Woodriff or Scheherazade, and am wondering which of the two might look MOST DIFFERENT in coloration from my present Arabesque? I would like to order some for fall planting....don't know which one I want. I've googled pictures online for both, and it's hard to tell the difference between the two if I've never seen them up close.

I have other orienpets-just love 'em all. I use them for bouquets (cut just the pedicel from the stem, which usually works fine).

Does anyone here have a preference for one or the other? BTW, Silk Road and Triumphator have been suggested to me in the past, but they are just too plain looking for my tastes.

Thanks...and photos welcome! :0) Phyl

Comments (9)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I don't have Leslie Woodriff, but it appears to have much more white than Scheherazade. My Scheherazade is absolutely stunning and never fails to stop people in their tracks. It's about 7 ft. this year and each stem had 35 to 40 blooms. A coupl of others to check out might be Dunyazade or Miss Libby. She's a bit spendy for me yet, but the photos certainly look great.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your input...I remember seeing Dunyazade at the Lily Garden website, don't remember Miss Libby-is that an OT as well? And that's what I thought-Scheherazade might have more yellow (which is GOOD).

Anyone else have any comments/opinions or photos?
    :0) Phyl

• nanny56
    16 years ago

I had a conversation on the phone with Alice who owns The Bulb Crate awhile back and she considers Anastasia and Leslie Woodriff the 2 that really are the stars in her gardens.

I have ordered Anastasia for this year and have found BB locally so added it! I also ordered 1 called Midnight from The Lily Pad it is a purple one. I love my Triumphator!! Even dh was wowed by it.

I had A Scheherazade at the old house but couldn't find it to dig up a bring with me. It was pretty and I like it's form aa little better than LW.

My vote is get them both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

The Lily Garden has Miss Libby, one of their introductions. Yes, it's an Orienpet. It has more yellow than Scheherazade. Price is $30.00. Have fun deciding. I'm thinking about Quintessence and Caravan this year. And there's also Mother of Pearl and so on and so on. So many lilies and only so much money.

• azngrnthumbs
    16 years ago

I grow both 'Scheherazade' and 'Leslie Woodriff' and each one has exceptional qualities as garden lilies.

'Scheherazade' is the heaviest bloomer for me and has the characteristic crimson centers with gold edges. It is gently fragrant and quite vigorous. It is quite an elegant inflorescence.

'Leslie Woodriff' has a larger flower that is red with a white edge. It is also more erect and "hunkier" with very thick foliage and flower substance. The petals are a slight ruffling to them and the scent is very faint, but sweet.

You can't go wrong with either one!

R

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Hostaholic, Nanny and Riz!

I also like Caravan & Quintessence! Midnight looks gorgeous. I shouldn't say I don't like Silk Road or Triumphator, because I haven't seen them up close. But I tend to love detail like green nectaries, raised papillae etc!

I went ahead and made my decision this morning and ordered 1 Scheherazade, 1 American Spirit and 1 Arabesque from Alice at The Bulb Crate. I had already gotten Anastasia and Golden Stargazers last year.

Then I also ordered 100 cherry red & blue species tulips (only 4 inches tall) for our yard (Little Beauty), as well as 5 each of these lilies from Van Engelen:

Speciosum Rubrum
    Speciosum Alba
    Black Beauty
    Excelsior (oriental)
    Dot Com (asiatic-Tango)

My eyes are always bigger than my wallet! :0) Phyl

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Sounds like you'll be busy! Have fun and when you start to hurt, just think about how great they'll look next spring/summer.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, hostaholic. Not sure I'm looking forward to planting those little tulips, but if I do it right, the front yard will look very cool in May.

I hope the lilies do better next year...several didn't show up this year, and many of them had very stunted growth and no buds at all. Still not sure if it was the weird weather or something I didn't do right.
    I do use Ropel on the bulbs before planting to keep critters from eating.
    :0) Phyl

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I hope your lilies are wonderful next year. Mine were gorgeous this year. Just to bad that the show is over for this year. The only Orientals that do well for me are Casa Blanca and Lemon Meringue. Most don't like either my soil or short growing season.I've pretty much given up planting any more of them. I had just two that didn't show this spring, but I had a surprise show up. Two or three years ago I planted a single bulb of Fangio LA. It didn't come up the following spring and when I dug down I found mush, so just wrote it off. Last year I saw a small stem, but thought it was probably a dropped bulblet from another clump nearby.This year there were two buds and boy was I surprised when it opened to see Fangio looking at me.