Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Daylily or Lily.... How do I choose?

joannemb
14 years ago

I had decided on placing Lilies in the narrow bed behind my boxwoods along my front porch (about 20 ft. long.) Thought I'd do both Asiatic (Bright Diamond) and Oriental (Casa Blanca) so that I get blooms throughout the summer.

Now I'm reading about how easy daylilies are. I had originally shyed away from them because I thought "They only bloom for a day--I'll be deadheading all summer and how long could they really last?" Now I'm reading they bloom all summer... true? Are they easier to grow than Lilies? I plan on putting them in a place that gets East morning sun and shade in the afternoon. I'm clearly a newbie (if you've been reading my posts on the forum, it's pretty clear) ;) so I'd like something that I can't mess up too badly.

Also, I have a question about the foliage on both plants. I'm not a fan of the spikey foliage that some lilies seem to have... the stem with leaves coming out horizontally all the way down the plant. Are ALL varieties of lilies like this? It's hard to tell from online pictures because so many just feature the actual flower. Daylilies seem to have more of a daffodil or iris type leaf right?

Thanks for you help! :)

Joanne

Comments (6)

• flora2b
    14 years ago

To me the plants are totally different...used in totally different applications depending on what you want. Lilies are usually tall and narrow and bloom for 1-4 weeks depending on variety and how mature the bulb. Variety is endless with bloom times starting in late spring and going til fall with a height range from 12 inches to 6-8 feet.

{{gwi:1038979}}

{{gwi:1026508}}

Daylilies on the other hand have a mounding, umbrella shape to the foliage. With varying heights of 12 inches to 2-3 feet and bloom time from spring to fall dependent on variety, they have many flowers on at once, but each individual flower only lasts for a day....hence the name.

{{gwi:1038980}}

If you want to see more daylilies have a look at this link.
    Flora

Here is a link that might be useful: daylilies

• mitanoff
    14 years ago

I'm new to both Daylilies and Lilies. I planted several daylilies in a front bed (morning sun and shade in the afternoon)and on one plant there will be several buds in various stages of maturity so although the flower does last only one day, you might have a show of flowers for a week or two or more from one plant. It all depends on the variety. SOme are "rebloomers" so you'll get more buds later on once the previous flush of flowers are done. Those that aren't rebloomers, has only the one flowering period of a few weeks. Flora's pictures are lovely, and show the foliage. Mine were planted only this year, so I don't have such a large mound of leaves yet. Hope this helps.

• joannemb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It helps a lot---thank you so much! Just needed to see the foliage. I think Lilies are the way I need to go in this bed. Thank you so much!

• joannemb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I plant one lily bulb, will I get one stem (that has a handful of blooms) or will one bulb produce many stems?

Also, when will the foliage be at a decent height? Trying to figure out how long that area will remain bare without any greenery... I can deal without blooms through May/early June, but will I still have a 2-3 ft. green stem/leaf showing?

Lastly, How long before the foliage looks ratty and needs to be cut down? Do you find the foliage lasting through September?

Thanks so much!

• joannemb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

BTW, Flora, are those pictures from YOUR garden? Or pictures you just happened to find for me? They are beautiful---Hooked me on the lilies as soon as I saw the first one! Goodness, so pretty!

One final question that I of course forgot:
    When I plant the groupings, what is the closest I am allowed to plant the bulbs (of the same variety)??

• flora2b
    14 years ago

These are pics from my garden, but I actually use most of my lilies around other perennials, so you really only see flowers for the most part.
    One bulb will produce one stalk with one to lots of flowers.....depending on maturity of the bulb. Some multiply quickers than others so it really depends. Asiatics and LA's are for sure the most vigorous.

Asiatic 'windsong' with daylilies & other perennials
    {{gwi:1038981}}

Asiatic 'fairest' in mixed bed.
    {{gwi:1038982}}

Once the flowers are finished, the top is cut off to allow the nutrition to move back to the bulb, for bigger and better flowers the following year, unless you want seeds.
    The foliage dies back and turns an ugly brown, but this process starts from the top and goes down and you can't cut it off until it is browned to allow the bulb to refeed itself.

You can see the foliage starting to die back behind the rudbeckia
    {{gwi:1038983}}

Beside the tree you can see the foliage really browned down and ready to cutback
    {{gwi:256140}}

Planting again depends on variety, but generally I plant about 6-8" apart.
    Hope this helps.