Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Which are better to move: asiatics with one stem or more than one

I was examining and tagging my lilies today so I can dig some of them up and balance the colors in the fall. These were maybe 5 new kinds, asiatics, bought a year ago last spring and just kind of shoe-horned in where I thought they would complement existing colors. Of course all the prettiest ones turned out to be in the part of the garden I see least, so I want to move some to a more prominent location. I have clusters of about 5 of each color.

Which is better to choose to move? I have some bulbs that produced one strong stem, and others that made a smaller main stem and several non-blooming thin ones. Some have visible bulblets at the surface. I know this is common for asiatics but donÂt know if this makes those ones better to move and split up or better to leave alone. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• hld6
    15 years ago

I would move the ones with stem bulblets since while you're digging out the main bulb you'll get an opportunity to easily separate out the "babies".

-Helen

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Considering that they were whole bulbs when planted in the spring of 07, how long will it take for the bulblets to achieve blooming size? And will the parent bulb be more likely to bloom better once the babies are separated? These were GREAT lilies and I will be happy to have lots more of these colors.

(I wonder why some planted at the same time produce bulblets and some don't...)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio