Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnycat_gw

OT hybrid Scalini

bunnycat
16 years ago

Hello~

I'd like to find out how tall Scalini lilies get when mature. Can't find any information on them. They are blooming now, planted this spring, and are maybe 3 1/2' tall. But I assume they will be taller next year after their roots develop more.

~Bunnycat

Comments (5)

• bunnycat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Alina~
    Thanks for the link. I did see that this spring when I Googled Scalini, but forgot about it. That seller says they get 36" tall. Mine are 42" tall in their first year, so that info isn't quite accurate. I'd like them to get just a bit taller, not much. Right now they are partially hidden behind some peonies, so I'm hoping they are taller next year. If not, I'll dig them up and move them. But I have them in deep, so it will be a pain.
    The flowers are quite large.

Thanks again!
    ~Bunnycat

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Bunnycat, very nice picture! Thanks for posting!
    Where did you buy them?
    I use the site I mentioned a lot for the pictures of rare varieties. I bought my 'Crystal Light' Lily at Home Depot on 50% off sale. It stopped blooming before I got it, so I had no idea how its flowers look. Google showed me thousands light fixtures :-), but not the Lily. Finally, I found this Holland grower site and bookmarked it. Of course, the information on this site could be very approximate as you noticed.
    BTW, 'Scalini' is not an OT hybrid (Orienpet). It is an Oriental.
    If you will move or divide this beauty, let me know if you will have bulblets to trade :0)

• mipeonyzone5
    16 years ago

OOh. I love that picture. Love the color of them and the ruffly edge they have. Neat.

• bunnycat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alina~

If they will just grow another 6" taller I will be happy to leave them where they are. It's a hill garden, so great drainage. However, if I do decide to move them, I'll be happy to send you some scales.

I bought them at the annual garden show in March. The man selling them is local, only ever sells a few varieties there each year. I'm going to contact him top see if he will have anything for sale in the fall. Otherwise, I'll be first in line next March to see what he has next year. The bulbs were huge and fresh, with long ropey roots. Another seller had some Asiatics and Mona Lisas and Casa Blancas. All were in excellent fresh condition with huge roots. Two of my children have little refrigerators for college which are now being stored here, and I put all of my bulbs in them. It was great!!

If by chance you want me to pick up some bulbs next year (or this year if available), I'd be happy to mail them. The Scalini and others from the local guy were $5 each. I wish he had more to choose from.

How do you know the difference between OT and Oriental? he said they were OT (same with the 'Nymph' variety). I looked at the pics of OTs and Orientals on the link you sent, and the OT's seem to nod like Trumpet lilies. The Scalini certainly look more like Orientals. (I know nothing about lilies, only have a few varieties).

Mipeony~
    I love the ruffley edge too. Most of my other lilies are quite plain in comparison.

~Bunnycat