Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skunk Lilies or Chocolate Lilies

Posted by lovescritters 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 0:37

Hi, all. We have moles galore in our yard this year!! I was told that the bulbs of the chocolate lily (also known as skunk lily, dirty diaper, etc.) will deter these pests and make them go elsewhere to dig and tunnel. Does anyone know where I can purchase these bulbs? I will also be willing to trade for other plants. I am an avid grower of all types of houseplants. Thanks for any help you can be. I'm desperate!!

Dar S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skunk Lilies or Chocolate Lilies

Specialty bulb suppliers (i.e. McClure and Zimmerman) will often carry them, although the species typically recommended for this purpose is Fritillaria imperialis. And you should know that folk or home remedies such as this (and others) to control moles are not considered to be very effective, if they work at all. Trapping - if allowed in your area - is really the only effective control that doesn't involve rather toxic fumigation chemicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: mole control info

o

I saw a sonic mole repeller in my hardware store! Supposed to work for moles, and other burrowing rodents. No idea if it really works. It was solar powered.

o

Hi:

Here is a good link to help deter various rodents anf other small animals

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Rodent help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here