Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Tiger Lilies

northerner_on
14 years ago

I have grown a patch of lilies for several years, and had quite a variety of Asiatics and Orientals. I have neglected it for the past few years, dedicating my energies to making beds and filling them with flowerig perennials. Now that I have turned my attention to the lily patch, I find that it has been taken over by Tiger Lilies. This year, I had only one stargazer and all these Tigers, tall, with bulblets in the leaf axils, and quite beautiful. However they have taken over the patch. Are they wild? At first I thought they were Henryi but I think not. I will be lifting these bulbs shortly to re-do the bed, but wonder if I should keep any of these. Are they worthwhile? Will they take over my expensive orientals which I plan to plant there? Here is a pic. of the bloom.

Please advise.

Northerner.

Comments (4)

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

Your Stargazers may just have petered out - many of us have experienced that... good bloom the first year, lesser bloom the second, and then disappearing altogether by the third or fourth season. Some people have better luck with them year after year. I pretty much stick with the Asiatics which are reliable for me.

The tiger lilies - guess they're really L. Lancifolium are Asiatics. They aren't wild but have naturalized well in North America and are prolific reproducers as each bulbil that falls from the leaf axils tends to sprout. They're valuable if you like them and want them in your gardens. Many people want them because they remember them from childhood, from their grandparents gardens, etc. And they're hard to find commercially - today you almost have to know someone who is willing to dig some of the bulbs for you or give you a handful of the bulbils for you to start your own.

I love them, wouldn't be without clumps of them in all my gardens. They're colorful, cheerful and carefree. They start blooming the first of August and I'll still have some for another week or so.

But if you're going to be planting more Orientals or other types of lilies, I'd keep them at a distance from the tigers (simply because the tigers spread fast, other types don't) - move the tigers to a sunny spot where you want a pop of color.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Duluth. You have provided me with some very good information on lilies in general and the Tiger Lilies with which I am blessed (plagued?). I will now go about the job of uprooting them and I have a good sunny spot outside my gate where I will place them. Then I go re-plant my bed with new bulbs.
    Northerner.

• greenguy1
    14 years ago

Do be prepared to be digging them out of your lily bed for at least the next couple of years - the first year the bulbil sends up a single-leaved shoot that looks like a blade of grass, easy to miss when you are weeding. The second year, they will have a thin stem with just a few leaves. The third year they start to look like typical lily plants, and mine took 5 years to bloom from when I collected the bulbils (with permission) from a garden on Cape Cod. But, they had bulbils, albeit very tiny ones, the second year. I grew them in a pot for three years before planting them in the garden and now, four years later, I still find the occasonal lily plant in the lawn along the edge of the deck where the pot sat.

- Steve

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up Steve. I dug them last week and they were really well-established. I first cut back the stems, so I could discard most of the bulbils, but I am sure some got away. The area around the lily patch is packed with stone, and I have at times seen the little grass-like growths and pulled them thinking they were grass. I was thinking of planting new bulbs this fall, but will re-plant 3 orientals I found, plus some Affinity I had in the front bed. It's safer to 'weed' if the bulbs are not too close together. I am still trying to find a place for the tigers, they are still in their brown paper bag in the garage. I still cannot tall where the came from.
    Northerner.