Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Can I Overwinter potted Asiatic lilies inside?

arbo_retum
15 years ago

We had a potted asiatic lily display at our arboretum entrance this year and i'd really like to repeat that potted display next year. After the foliage dies,can i just bring in the pots and store in my 60 degree cellar? Would i have to remove the bulbs from the soil? I also have the same question re calladium!

thanks much for your help,

Mindy

Comments (2)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

The asiatics need a cold period. I have heard of some people successfully wintering them in pots in an unheated garage. They won't be happy in a 60 degree basement. The caladiums can be stored in the basement. I believe 60 to 65 degrees is the right temp. for wintering them. Perhaps someone else will chime in on that.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hh2,
    thank you for that very helpful info. I guess this lily challenge is now going to push me to find out if my screened porch can be for me what an unheated garage is for others.i'm thinking that i'll bring the potted lilies up against the house wall of the porch and cover with a blanket, or put them in a cupboard. do you think that next spring i should replace the soil in their pots and then fertilize them after they show green? (these are just your typical 1 gal. nursery pots; i never got around to filling large glazed pots with them.....) thank you again,
    Mindy

p.s. with regards to the calladium going to the 60 degree cellar, can i leave them in their plastic pots or must i remove them from soil? (i have lost their bare corms before...)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting