Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

The 60 varieties of lilies that bloomed this year-pics

cheerpeople
14 years ago

The album link is below. If you point at the wording with your curser you can read the whole caption. I out them in order of bloom- first to last.

This was my first year to have trouble with botrytis, a fungus. I didn't put those aweful pics in the album.

I thought lilies were supposed to be easy. So far I'm not sure about that!

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: lily pics

Comments (10)

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Your pics are beautiful!!!!
    I would love to trade with you....bummer I live in Canada.
    It is a joy to see others as addicted as I am!!!!
    Flora

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

You have a great lily collection and beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

• kal2769
    14 years ago

Those are really great!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Thanks for the picsÂI should say, thanks for torturing me again this fall. I liked reading your comments on these too. I bought 3 Red Dutch thanks to youÂrabbits loved them too well. Have to hope they lived even though they spent the summer with only a 2" stump above ground. (WHY couldnÂt they have eaten a dime-a-dozen Monte Negro?)

-I liked Landini and orange lily togetherÂI have a new hot color bedÂmust do that too, or similar. Have already planted hot Orange Toronto and purple Queen of the Night tulips, and moved a pixie orange lily in there last spring; need something purple/burgundy now to continue the theme. Is Landini really too dark? Like too "black" to show up? I have wondered.

-STILL like all those American series lilies. I coveted those last year. CanÂt decide which one I need to get first. I like those with just a light brush of red/warm color: like nothing I have so far. Actually, I like all of them.

- Satisfaction? What is it you don't like about this one? It looks a little more pastel than what I have seen in the catalogs...it that why? I have been considering that one for a while.

Funny, I have not had an OT be prolificÂAll my OT multiply very slowly.

Thanks againÂ.

• running_free
    14 years ago

Nice gallery, reminds me that I need 'Dizzy'! I purchased several cheap after the bloom and ended up giving them to a buddy's wife for a new flower bed. Saw 'em last summer, a half dozen planted together, nice show. Gotta get to trying one or two with the down-facing blooms too!

~Wes

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

Wow, I just tried to look at your album and my virus detector popped up with malware detection and blocked me off the site. Bummer. I would've liked to see all your pics!

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    14 years ago

beth,
    I checked it for a couple days from different computers with different security software. It is fine for me. I was loading a new album on photobucket the day you posted. That might have given you trouble getting in.

If anyone else has a problem getting in do let me know.

k

Here is a link that might be useful: new album ...silhouettes

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well today I am not loading any pics and I got a malware warning too.
    I contacted the Photobucket. Hope they will care enough to get back to me.
    First time that has happened to me. Thx for letting me know. I've never seen that warning before on my mac.
    karen

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

Hi Karen, you're pics are making me drool! And wouldn't you know it's about time to order more. I can't wait for my new ones from last year to bloom again and to have some new this year to see. I love looking at everyone's pics. It makes me yearn for spring.
    Nancy

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thx Nancy!

I was just browsing them too trying to speed up spring!

Photobucket seems to have the malware problem under control. I've been to my album several times with no pop up warnings.

Last year was a growing experience for me with a few new problems with lilies.
    One problem was starvation. One of my lilies became quite lime green at the top of the stalk ( before flowering). Darm( a lily breeder) told me it was a nutritional deficiency and to add Epsom salt ( magnesium) to the soil. This did straighten it out, but it aborted its blooms. He advised me to dig it up and move it later in the season. Which I did. He said it might be atop a rock under there that was keeping its deep roots from finding adequate nutrition. The lime green was a signal of starvation. I know Linda Chaulker-Scott( blog) does not recommend random use of Epsom salt. In this case it was helpful. I used 1/4 cup.

Another problem = learning experience was getting a lily disease called botrytis. I think I brought it home on a lily from a master gardener sale. It looks like brown specks on the leaves, in time it makes the whole plant turn brown before fall!
    Last year it affected many of my lilies. I didn't know what it was, so I wasn't concerned. I think you should look it up. It is a fungus and very common in lily. If you want to grow lily you'll want to address this ASAP.
    Anyway... I have a 10 # bag of baking soda which Darm advised I cover my soil with early spring. He says the fungus will live in the soil over winter and splash up or grow up on next years lily sprouts, starting a new fungus infection with them.
    Baking soda kills the fungus first I guess. I was also advised to spray the plants that are affected but we get rain almost daily. I just don't think that's gonna work for me.

Maybe you've had these problems. I hope you can tell me the botrytis thing is quite fixable. It'd be a real downer for me otherwise.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional