Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momamamo

candy lily question

momamamo
17 years ago

Can anyone tell me how tall candy lily foliage is? I'm seeing descriptions about total plant height only - including flowers. I ask because I have 11 of them to move to my small front yard, and I want to find out whether they would be better suited within a mixed planting with my other perennials, or if they warrant a separate grouping.

Right now I have them in my "nursery" area which is slightly shady. I don't know whether the foliage will become taller once I move the plants into full sun. Right now the foliage is typical bearded iris height. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (8)

• lilium_guy56
    17 years ago

Pardancanda Norrisii. They are only supposed to be hardy to zone 5 but they grow ok here in zone 4 for me. I treat mine like ant IRIS. The foliage will be about the same wherever you plant them tho mine the leaves grow taller in the shade but not by a lot. Maybe 3" at most. Go ahead move them. My personal choice is i like a mass grouping.

• momamamo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I'm curious - do you like them?

• ego45
    17 years ago

Actually they are not lilies, but irises.
    Pardancanda norrisii is a cross of Iris dichotoma x Belamcanda chinensis (another plant of Iridaceae
    family, but commonly called Blackberry Lily).
    I have them in close to full sun position and in part shade one. Foliage is about the same height, 2 to 2.5' tall, though in a part shade flower stalkes are taller and don't want to stay straight. Nearby plants provide some support, but overall picture is not very attractive.
    In almost full sun location they look much better, but have to be seen from the close distance to admire the beauty of all individually different flowers and that creates problem with placement since they are too tall for the front of the bed/border.
    The good thing is, they are easy to grow and move and if you don't like them in one place, next year you'll try them in another.
    Maturing black seeds is another attraction, but be careful, seeds could produce a lot of seedlings, which will sprout in a year or two after you moved your plant from its former location.
    Very nice, trouble free and interesting plant, but need a special placement to be enjoyed to the full extend.

• momamamo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I've been wondering about the proportion between foliage and flower as well. I think I'll create a special spot down by the street (full sun) and surround the plants with something like Nepeta Walkers Low to soften the look a bit. I get a lot of comments about my front yard garden, and the varying colors, spots and stripings of the candy lilies will surely create some comment from passers-by. And that gives me an excuse to talk about gardening and to meet the neighbors! It's all good... Maureen

• Julie
    17 years ago

Hey there-
    I must be doing something they like- like ignoring them in a well draining sandy loam, full sun bed- cuz the Candy Lillies I started from seed last winter reached almost 4' in the foliage alone with many bloom spikes near 5'- and this year- the foliage lifted itself up to just shy of 5'! I am 5'5" and looked up to see the flowers on many of them! I planted them in clumps of 3 or 4 just a few inches from each other in a staggered row about 18' long. Um- I started way too many of them as you can tell....
    It makes me wonder if they like to be crowded. When I lifted them to share- the yellowish roots had intertwined so thoroughly it was very difficut to seperate them.
    The height they reached this year is very unusual I am told- but I wouldn't know any different!
    For me- they didn't start to flop till the seed heads started to ripen and rupture-
    I guess- when you give a plant what it likes best- it performs to it's fullest!
    Now- if I could only get that kind of performace from even a quarter of what I have planted in my yard-
    Julie

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Julie is right; she has GIANT candy lilies. Yours will probably be normal height, with leaves about 20-25 inches before stalks begin to develop.

• katz_sc_rr_com
    15 years ago

I have just harvested seed from my candy lily. Can anyone tell me how and when to start the seeds?
    Also, will they survive outside in the ground here in S.C.
    (zone 8a) or should I lift them and bring them in the greenhouse?

• Julie
    15 years ago

Hi there Judy-
    I am in zone 4- and Candy lilies are winter hardy here. Your Candy Lilies should be just fine left in the ground.
    You can start your seeds almost any time under lights indoors or by WinterSowing. Candy lilies will generally reseed well in your garden if you let the seeds fall where they will.
    I do hope you enjoy making more of your candy lilies-

Julie

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz