Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Orienpets broken off from bulbs

Posted by lilaclily z5IL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 11:51

So I ask the not-so DH to please dig up my orienpets as I wanted to transplant them. They are several years old and were 4-5ft tall. I asked him to do it assuming he would dig deep and get to the bulbs. I came home and found the shoots lined up on the driveway. Some had the bulbs intact, some did not.

He didn't get the bulbs to some of them, I assume the bulbs are still buried deep in the ground. That's okay I guess as I am assuming they will come back next year.

My question is for the shoots. They all have big root systems ABOVE where the bulbs were. Can I plant these and will they eventually MAKE new bulbs? Or are they lost causes?

I am so mad at him! We're talking over a dozen!

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Orienpets broken off from bulbs

It's a little early for digging them but the bulbs should be fine. The roots above the bulbs are stem roots and help to stabilize the stem in the ground. You can still dig down and get the bulbs, I assume you wanted to move them or divide them? Planting the stems will not form new bulbs but your husband didn't do any damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here