Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hld6

What lilies are you buying this Fall?

hld6
18 years ago

Hi All,

Well I've asked advice from the forum, pondered the catalogs, pondered the checking account, and have come up with my planting list for this Fall.

I've ordered:

Pardalinum (for my deciduous shade)

Cernuum (ealy fragrant lily)

Candidum (I'm a glutton for punishment)

Lankongense (part shade/dappled shade, fragrant)

Still pondering the checking account - but think I'll break down and order:

Martagon (dappled shade - Brent and Becky's have it for a "reasonable as martagon goes" price)

Saving for Spring planting:

Formosanum (late bloom)

Longiflorum (plant with "hopefully not bloomless again" Candidum and detect virus)

What's everybody else getting?

-Helen

Comments (17)

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Liberty Hyde Bailey, Viva (Asiatics from The Lily Garden)
    Copper Crown (Trumpet, same source)

I have already planted:

Pink Perfection (Trumpet)
    Lilium pumilum
    Lilium parryi (native California species)

That's enough for this season!

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

From B&D Lilies: Sweet Home asiatics, Gold Eagle, and Conca D'Or.

From M-Z Bulbs: speciosum album and Harlequin Hybrids.

From buggycrazy: speciosum rubrum, asiatics Stunning, Yellow Brushmark, and Starburst. OTs /Georgette and Leslie Woodriff. More lilies are being added to their auctions almost daily so I am sure I am not done there.

Still waiting for the regional society's bulb list to come out. They usually have Lily Garden bulbs at about 1/3 off, Mak-Leek bulbs and Ed McRae bulbs very reasonable.

Have around 70-80 seedlings to go out (trumpets and asiatics). They won't take up much room this year but next year.... might have to remove some shrubbery..

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Pardilinum - how long does it take lilies to bloom from seed - a couple or three years? Do you plant them directly in the soil in your yard, or do you start them indoors? If indoors, how long do you keep them inside before planting outside? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.

Susan

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

I start them inside in late winter/early spring in zip-lock bags and soiless starting mix, the same stuff I use for all my seed starting. I cut drainage holes in the bottom of the bag and a couple of notches for airation near the top. I keep them inside under lights. The first season they just put up a couple of green basal leaves and really don't look like much. In the fall I plant them out in a special area I have dedicated for this endeavor. The next spring most will put up a stalk; a small percentage will bloom, especially the trumpets. By the third season they should all bloom.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Ooh, I'd love to try this. Next year, I'll save some of my seeds. I always cut off the dead blooms, but I'll trying leaving a few on. Of course, I don't have any species lilies, just hybrids, so who knows what I'll get?

Thanks, pardilinum.

SUsan

• outinthegardenallday
    18 years ago

John Scheepers: Orienpet Satisfaction, Touching & Honeymoon

Brecks: Asiatic Purple Rain and Son of Syndie

Ciao,
    OITGAD

• hld6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well my list expanded at no expense to myself! I ordered 2 packages of 3 bulbs each of L. Lankogense through the Species Lily Preservation Group. Today I received my shipment which included 3 packages of Lankongense and 2 extra packages of other lilies. One contained 3 bulbs of Davidii and the other one bulb of Rosthornii, with a note asking me to write back when they bloom to tell how they grew in my area. Awesome! Though clearly, Mr. McRae hadn't read my posts talking about how small my yard is. :)

-Helen

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

Hmmmm... I didn't know Mr. Ed included freebies in the species orders. And I didn't order this year though it was tempting. I have seed for probably half the lilies on the list so I'll go that rout.

In the meantime... from Scheepers I ordered OT Satisfaction and L. sp. album (to mix with the rubrums, of course). I've added to my order from Buggycrazy: a couple of pardalinums (lol), Green Goddess, Late Pink oriental, and Yellow Henryi (citranum). From the regional (PNWLS) I've ordered Cathedral Windows, White Henryi (original clone), and oriental Summer's End, which I already have but want more. It's my best oriental. From McRae's contributions I ordered several tetraploid trumpets and a couple of the asiatic mix, which are actually seedlings from the hybridization program of Dr. Chris North (he hybridized for downfacing lilies, frequently using L. lankongense, then naming them after his family members).

My crystal ball tells me I will be doing a lot of digging in the near future!

• hld6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The extra package of Lankongense may have been because those bulbs were small. Not that I would have minded, since even the smallest were a lot bigger than the few little "baby bulbs" I grew of Lankongense from seed this year. (I'm a newbie to seed growing.) But the complementary Davidii and Rosthornii bulbs were big and plump. All of it was a nice surprise since I just joined the SLPG. Also, the day they arrived, Oct. 15, was my birthday. So the bulbs made a nice birthday present for me and it meant my husband couldn't turn me down when I asked for a extra birthday "digging" present! :)

Speciosum Rubrum grew so well for me last year that I seriously considered ordering speciosum album from Scheepers this time. Now you're making me regret not doing it! (I ordered cernuum from them instead.) There are just too many beautiful lilies to choose from.
    -Helen

• Mainiac
    18 years ago

New ones I am adding this year:
    Lots of Minnesota hybrids, mostly downfacing.
    The Chris North Asiatic seedlings as above.
    L Lankogense
    L rosthornii
    a new OT named Elise
    Some from the Lily Garden including Sheer Bliss, Dunyzade, and Sarbande, Some from Parklands in Canada, some from Brecks including Golden Stargazer and Tom Pouce (replacements for some lost) and their OT's like Robert Swanson, Beverly Ann and Robert Greishbach. (BTW, I bought Purple Rain from them last year and was disappointed as it was mislabelled). I did manage to find a real bulb of Purple Reign (perhaps that is the difference) from a friend in Minnesota. And a couple from the Lily Pad including First Crown.

I think I have a bad case of the "I Wants"

• hld6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Mainiac (I love your forum name)
    Yeah I think the "I wants" is a common condition. I see a catalog (esp. from the Lily Garden) and "I want" close to every lily in it! I've restricted myself to certain types to try to cure the syndrome, but there are just too many beautiful lilies of each type for that to work. But, getting vicarious pleasure from other people's lilies helps reduce the symptons! :)

-Helen

Its also contagious, I've spread the condition to my mom and neighbors!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

OITGAD - I got Touching from John Scheepers last year, along with Red Hot, OKC, Muscadet, Stones, and another I don't recall. But, Touching was a real hit. I loved the bloom, the size of the bloom, the colors, the fragrance, all of it. Their bulbs are so big, too, that when they come up in spring, they look like they having already been growing several years. I was very pleased. Red Hot was gorgeous, too, but not at all like the pictures. It was a softer red, like someone just laid a sheer red curtain over something white. Very striking. Not quite as fragrant as Touching, but a lovely lily nonetheless.

I still want Silk Road very badly. But my purse strings were in knots this year due to medical bills and house repairs, so will have to wait, unless someone wants to do a trade.

Susan

• tyshee
    18 years ago

Seems like there are so many mislabled bulbs. I sent triumphator to someone who got the wrong bulb last year as did all of her friends. An expensive error for sure. I didn't have enough reproduction to help everyone. I got a few mislabled ones last year and some came from the top rated suppliers. It's bad when it happens from Canada as one can hardly get a replacement without paying the inspection fees. If I am making typing errors, please forgive as one of my fingers is still numb from a summer gardening accident. It may always stay that way but I am hoping for the best.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I couldn't help myself--I ordered some of the white Lilium cerneum bulbs at John Scheepers' end-of-season sale. I don't think I ordered anything else. I don't know where I'd plant it if I did.

• hld6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was tempted to buy the cerneum album (they're very pretty) but I have limited garden space and ordered the pink cerneum from them instead.

FYI on planting
    L. Cernuum is related to L. Pumilum (and like pumilum has small bulbs). L. Pumilum also has thin grass-like strappy foliage. The Pumilum I ordered from Brent & Becky's last year struggled to come up (I have heavy clay soil). When it became apparent they were in trouble I dug them up and replanted after amending the soil. I also planted them more shallowly (~3-4"). I wonder if these lilies, with their smaller bulbs and thinner sprouts, are an exception to the "plant deep" rule. Because of this experience, this Fall I planted my Cerneum more shallowly than my orientals (~8" deep) but I won't know if this works until spring time.

Does anyone else have experience with these lilies?

-Helen

• kayman
    18 years ago

Both need fairly well-drained soil, with cernuum needing a somewhat drier summer dormancy. In my rather sandy soil they both seem happy at about 4 inches deep (though my old copy of The English Flower Garden does recommend a planting depth of 9 inches for cernuum, which seems a tad excessive). Good drainage and full sun are probably more important than actual planting depth. If you see stem roots too close to the soil surface, you can always top-dress them with a little mulch.

• leslie197
    18 years ago

I only bought one type (5 bulbs) this year - from Van Engelen - Centerfold, an asiatic white with maroon spots and stripes. That's the fewest I have ever bought & I had trouble finding a place to plant them!

As my yard is very wet, with heavy clay and the main drains for the neighborhood at the bottom of my slope, I can plant lilies in only some high areas of the lot. My approach has been sort of scattershot. I buy them, they live, they die, they do return, they don't return, some expand, some get spindly, & I just keep buying.

After about 6 years I have finally got lilies in every spot in my yard that can possibly support them and I even have clumps to divide. Hooray, hooray - but kind of sad too.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?