Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriental lily planted in May did not grow

Posted by jdtjdt 8-9 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 13:50

Hi, I planted 5 oriental lilies (bulbs) in May or June of 2012 and they did not grow in the summer, is it possible that they will grow in the spring?, or should I replace them? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriental lily planted in May did not grow

It's possible but unlikely. You may want to try digging one up, very carefully so as not to slice into it if it's still there. If it's there and healthy looking, it may come up next spring. My guess is that more likely voles or some other critter hit the buffet line or the bulbs rotted. What is drainage like where they are planted? How much rain did you have or amount of watering done?

On the other hand I have dug down and found rotted, mushy bulbs and then had that particular lily show up three or so years later. Apparently a scale with a bit of basal plate attached survived.

o

It's highly unusual to plant 5 bulbs and not have a single one grow. Something definitely went wrong. I agree with hostaholic--check one. In fact, since Fall is setting in, I'd dig them all up and see--certainly won't hurt anything by doing that and if they still look good, simply replant--but odds are they're either rotted or eaten.

Keep in mind that liliums do not like overly rich soil and excess moisture. Planting in just plan ordinary garden dirt in a higher spot that's well drained works best. then once they're up and growing a little compost or commercial garden soil could be added as a lite mulch to feed them naturally from the top. Avoid potting soils of any kind.

o

thank you, will dig up and check.

o

If they were healthy bulbs when you planted them there will be a chance of them still being viable for next year. The summer was so incredibly hot that late planted lily bulbs didn't perform too well. They really like to sprout when the soil and air temps are cooler, and in really hot conditions they often get weak stem growth and distorted or no flowers. When I plant them late in the spring I always put them in part shade or pot them up and hold them in the shade, then plant them out as they start to bud. They don't mind some moisture up to the flowering stage, and as was mentioned, after that they like to be dry. So if your bulbs just aborted due to the heat, but weren't eaten or rotted by excessive watering they could still be okay, assuming they were healthy to start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here