Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliciah_gw

beginner help weird growth on dolly madison

AliciaH
10 years ago

I received two Dolly Madison bulbs from my Aunts funeral in January. Everything seemed fine at first. They started themselves in the bag so I potted them together in a large pot so they can go with me when I move and they grew to be around ten inches each. Initially they looked pretty similar then one started growing what look like bulbs with thin leaves all over its top. There are at least a couple dozen on there now. They grow to about the size of a dime then some fall off and die. It's been exactly the same for the last couple months. The plant seems healthy and the other is still ten inches and normal looking but neither bloomed (i think they take a year or more to maturw right?) And the one still has those weird tassled bulbs. This plant means a lot to me because of my aunt and all so I'd really like any advice I can get on this as well as it's care. Also thinking they need repotted but not sure when would be safe? Soil suggestions too? Should they be fertilized at some point? Sorry, I'm a oober novice just trying to help these plants survive. :) Thanks for anything!

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Just let me make sure I am understanding what you are saying.......you received the bare bulbs (not started plants) in January, they started to sprout and then they were planted in a container?

If this is correct, you should be fine as long as you have watered the bulbs properly and provided some sort of mild fertilization. Lily bulbs should bloom the first year they are planted but if they have been stressed (like sprouting heavily in the bag) or in anyway neglected they could easily skip a bloom period. The "weird tasseled bulbs" sound like bulbils or a kind of baby bulb that Asiatic and some other lilies can be propagated from.

You can read up online on Asiatic lily care but they are about the easiest lilies to grow. Well drained soil in a moderate amount of sun is about all you need. You can plant out now - in fact, I'd prefer that to trying to hold them over winter and then plant. Leave the stem and leaves intact until they turn dry, brown and start to fall off. You can cut them back at that point.

I generally never fertilize my lilies because I have a good, rich soil but you can work a little bulb or all purpose fertilizer around the plant when you see the shoots start to emerge in spring. Be very careful not to damage those shoots as breaking them or damaging the growing tip can prevent flowering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily care

• AliciaH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They seem fine otherwise so it's good to know the bulbils are nothing to worry about. Couldn't find pictures or mention of them so was unsure what they were. I am hoping to keep them in a pot rather than out as I want to easily be able to take them should life cause another move. So I should at least repot them soon? Was planning on repotting and in the winter bringing them in with my other plants.

• AliciaH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They seem fine otherwise so it's good to know the bulbils are nothing to worry about. Couldn't find pictures or mention of them so was unsure what they were. I am hoping to keep them in a pot rather than out as I want to easily be able to take them should life cause another move. So I should at least repot them soon? Was planning on repotting and in the winter bringing them in with my other plants.

• AliciaH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure why that double posted. I just read that keeping them indoors would mean they won't come back next year. I am sure I can keep them potted, repott, and be able to prevent freezing. I live in western Washington Abd we really don't get much for frost. As far as the bulbils..should I leave them be or pull them off? I moved last week ans the climate change and rains have caused these to start growing roots on the stem just in the last couple days. It's crazy.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor