Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant or leave seedlings for later?

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 16:01

I grew trumpet lilies from seed this year. I basically have two 4" square x 5" deep pots that I spaced 9 seeds in each. They all germinated and have a few wide blade leaves per seedling. I was thinking I would transplant them into individual pots but just read one source that said I should leave a potted seedling in place for a year before any attempt to transplant it. Will this be a problem with that many seedlings in one pot until next spring? Do I leave the pots outdoors on a covered patio over the winter as is or do I need to set these pots into something to protect them from potentially low temps in range of 0-10 degrees should that happen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant or leave seedlings for later?

I leave mine in the same pots during the first Fall to get as much growth, for as long as they're alive growing and until they decide to dormant or freeze. Then if they're not too crowded, I leave them grow in the same pots a second full year; then set out. Since you had good luck with your seeds and they're over crowded--as happens sometimes, then setting out next spring is your best option. If your pots have good drainage you can bury the pots in the same garden with the rest of your liles,cover with about an inch of dirt and mulch a little with coarse straw preferrably after the ground freezes if it does in your area. Overwintering in an unheated attached garage is OK too, provided you put the smaller pots in a larger pot and cover with an inch or so with soil to keep them from drying out completely so check in mid january and water lighty if needed.

I cross pollenate and seed lilies as a hobby. If you are interested in learning more about lily seeding or just lilies in general check out www.allthingsplants.com click forums in the heading, then scroll down to the second section titled 'plants' where you'll see lilies listed. There's a bunch of very good lily seeders in there.

o

Thanks for the link and advice.

I get a lot of pleasure starting things from seed. I've never focused on just one thing to become more of an expert on it though I certainly do love lilies!

o

As a follow up to this question, anyone living in a colder area than zone 6, or in an area where the soil freezes to a depth which is deeper than the drain holes of your pots, you should bury your pots horizontally or at least at a 45 degree angle and mulch heavier. The reason is because if your drain holes freeze shut, your pot becomes a water trap or sump which with alternate late winter and spring freeze/thaw cycles, it could damage the bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here