Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a peace lily from scratch

Posted by naturedoc z5 CO (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 16:02

Hello!

I recently inherited a VERY sad-looking peace lily from a friend in a fairly large pot with no drainage. I decided to cut off all the leaves that looked sad, and this eventually led to me, um, cutting all the leaves off! So now there's just the roots left, and maybe a little bit of the base of the lily. (Actually, now that I think about it, it looked like there were about three separate plants in there.)
So what do you think? If I were to replant the separate plants in smaller pots with drainage, is there a chance they might thrive? If so, how long would it take before any foliage actually showed up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Lily seeds

I received some Lilies as a gift. They are dying off now for the fall season in NY. I don't know what kind of Lilies they are. They grow about 33" tall and the pods are about 1" and brown. They are shaped like a tulip. When I went to weed, they made a rattling sound. Inside the pod were hard black seeds or insect eggs. Which are they? If they are seeds, how do I preserve them over the winter and what time do I plant them in the spring.

o
RE: Starting a peace lily from scratch

naturedoc, I think you would have a good chance they would thrive. I have found peace lilies to be very tolerant, as long as the root itself is not rotten, etc. Sounds like they need to come out of that pot anyway, so I would give it a shot. If they are too very hard to separate, might be better to leave them together til they recover a bit before dividing.
corky66, I can't think what kind of lily that would be that would make a seed pod like that, unless it is an iris?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here