Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan3557

Intense reaction to Star Lilies.

joan3557
12 years ago

I am trying to post to the allergic reaction thread about Star Lilies. I am experiencing a back of the head headache from H--l. Not only that, burning and itching and runny eyes, extreme runny nose, face pain (maybe from swollen sinuses), cough, redness at the back of my throat, and lethargy from being around Star Lilies, only 3 or 4 blooms, for three days with the third day being the worst. I think perhaps the pollen came through the AC into my bedroom, but am not certain. The flowers were in the living area of the house.

I have had this reaction in the past and if someone gave me Star Lilies I would trim off the pistols where the orange pollen seems to live and it seemed to help. I warn friends not to get me Star Lilies. This recent reaction had me flat on my back and in intense pain in my head and neck, similar to a MSG headache I have experienced, but more debilitating. Next time I see Star Lilies nearby and I cannot avoid them I will leave if that is possible and as a backup I will ask that the lilies be placed outside while I am present. If you ever had such a reaction you would not hesitate to do these things yourself. I have been sick with the debilitating symptoms for 48 hours and with the beginning symptoms for 60 hours, have no appetite, am drinking lots of water. I know, it sounds like flu, but it's not. Only my neck and head are affected and I am okay everywhere else, except for lack of appetite and lethargy. I do understand that this can cause a secondary sinus infection so I am taking precautions, using Nettie pot, etc.

Does anyone know how to stop these reactions when they first begin? Benadryl did not help.